France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Let the Holy Spirit Guide



This past week was SO humid! It's all everyone seems to be talking about. We live high up in our apartment building and the air conditioning doesn’t seem to work. Sweating while we sleep … needless to say, I hardly slept at all and was dead tired all week, but we got through it! Haha, all of us just laugh about it when wake up and say, "woahhh! It feels like I’ve been hit by a bus!" It's hysterical.

As you know, lately we have been working on developing Christ-like attributes. This week, Soeur Francis and I have been focusing on Patience ... yep, the opportunities definitely presented themselves. I have never seen so many cancellations of appointments with people my entire mission! Haha, we just made the most of it and reverted to our back-up plans.

We went out to eat with my pen pal's parents ... it was so nice being able to spend time with them! They really are like my French parents out here - it is so neat knowing that Camille is back with my family and that we had the opportunity to spend some time with them. I explained to them what our missionary day was like and we were able to continue to share what the gospel of Jesus Christ means to us. It was so neat! It will be fun to see them when the kids are both back from the US and hear about their experiences! They wanted us to have a "real" French dinner experience at a nearby restaurant, and there were soo many different things on the menu. Of course, it was all in French, but they went through and explained every item to us. We ended up trying duck liver!!! It wasn't too shabby, haha. I've had worse.

Thank you for all of your prayers in behalf of our amie, AsTou! She is incredible and is so prepared! It is amazing to see how a woman with a Muslim background has come to know that Christ is her Savior. She has been reading the Book of Mormon and said she notices a difference when she doesn't read her scriptures; and she feels more at peace and happy when she does. She wants to be baptized! We fixed a date with her for August 17th!! Her son Miguel wants to be baptized when he turns 8 years old too! It is truly amazing how, with the help of the Spirit and the Lord, we are able to find, teach, and baptize in a matter of a month and a half! We are merely instruments in His hands!

We had the chance to go to Paris for Soeur Francis' legality! Soeur Wynn (my best friend from the MTC) was there too, and we had the chance to be companions for the day! It was amazing! President Poznanski gave us training and really emphasized the importance of following our promptings of the Spirit … pushing us to act. He said that "everyone can FEEL the Spirit ... but not everyone chooses to ACT on the Spirit." He promised us that we will make the most progress on our missions and in our LIVES if we do our best to follow the Spirit. It's so true! That is how we find people … when we humble ourselves and follow the Spirit, guiding us to those who are prepared. He also told us about the importance of finding and teaching FAMILIES. We never know how many generations can be effected when we share the gospel with families that will one day be sealed together in the temple.

Soeur Wynn and I were sent on a scavenger hunt in the streets of Paris. It was so incredible being able to spend that time together!!! We contacted and talked to every person with a stroller we saw (haha) in the effort to find a family to teach! At one point, Soeur Wynn was talking with a family about the church, when a stroller a few feet away began to roll by … I dashed across and began to share the gospel with that family too!!! It was INCREDIBLE! Both families said they were going to try to come to church this Sunday!

I finally got to see the EIFFEL TOWER! I had been waiting my whole life to see it! It was HUGE, and filled with tourists! It was so special being able to see it as a missionary, and I even had the chance to give a Book of Mormon away to a woman from Portugal underneath the Eiffel tower! That’s something you would never otherwise have the chance to do! She said she would read it and is super interested in learning more. It was such a wonderful day and experience to see the greatest sight in Paris! Maybe one day I'll be able to serve there!

Next Sunday the Stagno kids have their baptism!! They have made so much progress! Please keep them in your prayers!!! The two older, teenage girls had an amazing and life-changing experience at EFY last week. I know they need to be baptized and continue to stand in holy places in order to become the young women the Lord knows they can become.

For our Prep day on Monday, we had the chance to go to the Zoo in Lille! It was so much fun! The other three sisters were laughing at me because I was in such awe of the way the gray owl was spinning its neck around! I loved it! I was also able to identify the type of monkeys we saw … I guess I had too much “Planet Earth” and “Animal Planet” growing up, haha.

Thank you so much for all of your love and support. My mission has (by far) been the greatest experience of my life. It's incredible being able to teach and testify to people from countries all over the world. My perspective has completely changed and I know that the church of Jesus Christ has truly been restored. Continue to do all you can to act on the promptings of the Spirit! It is so important! I love you all and you are in my prayers!

Love,

Soeur Madeline Vance