France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Savior, Redeemer of My Soul

It’s sunny here in Saint Quentin! People are out and about on the streets with smiles on their faces! It’s such a blessing to go out and feel the sun and see everyone so happy!
Last week we had the chance to go to Coucy for our Pday and see the beautiful remains of the castle there. It was super cool! We took tons of photos and the view from the top, down onto the French countryside, was breathtaking. The castle was actually built in 920 by an archbishop to protect his territory there. During a war in 1653 the castle was broken up and abandoned. Many architects worked to preserve the ruins, but in 1917 the German army destroyed the four towers ... there’s some fun French history for you! I feel so blessed to be serving in a really awesome country!

We had a wonderful family home evening later that day with the Membre family. They are incredible! I have really enjoyed getting to know the members of the ward on my mission. I take time to ask them about their conversion stories as well as the story of how the couple met one another. I find that as I do so, I grow closer to them and gain a deeper love for them. It gives me the desire to work with them and become like them one day in my own family! I am really impressed by the Membre's efforts to share the gospel with their friends. They explained to us all they have been doing to introduce their good friends to the church and how they are planning to set a time to introduce their friends to us so we can have a family home evening together! It’s an amazing feeling to know that the members trust us with their close friends, and it puts a responsibility on us to do our best to teach to them with the Spirit, according to their needs!

Tuesday night we played soccer with little Logan and his friend Dylan! Alexandra was supposed to come but she was not feeling well. We begged her to let the boys come, and they did! We met up with a huge group from the ward at an indoor soccer place, with tons of turf fields! Seeing the lights and even the smell of artificial grass gave me the biggest desire to PLAY! Sometimes I forget how much I love that game, haha. The ward had rented out two fields: one for a game of 3v3 and the other for 6v6. A group of men and experienced players were ready to start their game on the 6v6 field, so I figured I would just have fun on the other one with little Logan and Dylan. Then the bishop ran over and said, "Hey, what are you doing? You’re playing with us!" I laughed, and told him I might be rusty. When I walked on the field, a bunch of the men gave me weird and confused looks and started asking each other what I was doing on the field. I just figured I would do my best to keep the game flowing, not step on anyone’s toes and not get hurt. But then our bishop yells out, "Don’t worry, she’s GOOD!" I got red in the face, and reminded him he had never even seen me play before! He responded, "I know. But you better play well. All of my non-member friends are here. No pressure." Hahaha!
It ended up being a blast!! By the end of it they were passing the ball to me and I even managed to score a few goals! Soeur Kohlert was playing with Logan and Dylan and every time I looked over they were running like crazy and laughing so hard! It was so much fun, and I had the chance to talk with some of our bishop’s friends! I think it’s always good for other people to see that we, as missionaries, are still normal people … and that SISTERS can PLAY!!!

Isabela continues to progress … we had a “light bulb” moment with her when she finally understood the restoration of Christ's church on the earth through Joseph Smith. We had been repeating it over and over in the simplest manner that we could think of, but she still had the most confused look on her face. I said a silent prayer in my heart that she would be able to understand. After trying one more time, with images explaining the First Vision, her face lit up and Isabela was just BEAMING!!! She excitingly cried, "I understand, I understand! Thank you sisters, I understand! I am going to be a part of the true church of Christ!!" She grabbed us and hugged us with so much force, thanking us for our patience and time in helping her learn.

The elders also passed one of their amies they had been teaching on to us. Her name is Isabelle. She is a 24-year-old French girl who is super excited to learn! She writes up summary pages of what she learned and liked during her reading in the Book of Mormon. She has the desire to be baptized and even came to church! We are planning on setting a date with her this week!

The elders had a baptism on Saturday and had asked that we do a musical number. We didn’t have too much time to practice, but it ended up going well! I sang one of the verses solo! Ha! It was my first time doing so in a group of people. Soeur Kohlert played the violin and an elder and I sang the song from the film, “17 Miracles”, called, "Savior, Redeemer of My Soul". The lyrics to the song hit me every time:

Savior, Redeemer of my soul,
Whose mighty hand hath made me whole,
Whose wondrous pow'r hath raised me up
And filled with sweet my bitter cup!
What tongue my gratitude can tell,
O gracious God of Israel.

Never can I repay thee, Lord,
But I can love thee. Thy pure word,
Hath it not been my one delight,
My joy by day, my dream by night?
Then let my lips proclaim it still,
And all my life reflect thy will.

O'errule mine acts to serve thine ends
Change frowning foes to smiling friends.
Chasten my soul till I shall be
In perfect harmony with thee.
Make me more worthy of thy love,
And fit me for the life above.

After we sang, the Bishop got up to speak and expressed his gratitude for the power of music and thanked us for our special number. I know the Savior has helped me during every step I have taken in my life thus far. Sometimes we don’t understand why we are called to pass through certain trials or difficulties, but the Lord does. He can see the end from the beginning. He is the one who directs our paths. I feel blessed to be here in France and thank my Heavenly Father every day for the incredible experiences I am having. I hope you all have the chance to do the same and soak up the sun this spring season! You are in my thoughts in prayers wherever you may be.
Love you!

Soeur Madeline Vance

The link below describes the story of Francois Verny!!! He was in my ward in Paris Lilas! I actually spent Christmas with him and a member family!! I had no idea that they had made a clip about his conversion until my parents sent it to me. He is just the sweetest! I know that the Lord answers prayers and puts people in our path for a reason.