France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Tout Autour de la Tour Eiffel



Transfer News! I am staying in Paris! My new companion is Soeur Doyle, a sister who has been out for a year or so. It should be great! Soeur Wynn is leaving me, haha, and going to Angers, which will probably be her last city before we … are transferred to a city in the United States! I am so grateful for her example and leadership qualities. It was always our dream to serve together, and we sure did! We saw so many miracles, I will forever be grateful for our time together! Also, my last companion, Soeur Kohlert just got transferred to Villeneuve Dascq!!! That’s where I started my mission! I am so excited for her to meet all of the wonderful people I grew to love there!

This week we decided to change things up and just be tourists and spend every chance we could around the Eiffel Tower. No, I'm kidding, it just so happened that a lot of our activities and work we were all in places around the Eiffel Tower! It was always in view and we felt so spoiled! We had a district meeting picnic with a group of missionaries in the park in front of the Eiffel Tower. It was really funny because it was pouring rain, but we were protected in the gazebo we were in. We talked about recognizing God’s hand in our daily lives and how that truly gives us the strength to press forward. The Spirit was so strong as we each shared personal experiences we have had about how we know with a surety that God is aware of us and knows us personally.
Later in the week, we had lessons at this same park with our amie, Caroline. She is a beautiful, middle-aged French woman with an adorable yorkie dog who tags along every time. She also has a 20-year-old daughter who is a professional ballerina here in France! She had a serious audition this past week, and we all prayed for her, and she was chosen to be one of three dancers selected out of 300 dancers to perform in the Grand Theater in Bordeaux! Prayer and hard work definitely pays off! Caroline is interested in feeling a stronger connection to God in her life and has been reading the Book of Mormon! She asks great questions and even came to church on Sunday! It was Mother’s Day here in France, and Caroline was touched by the messages shared on the importance of developing motherly qualities. I’m excited to see how she progresses!

We also did a Helping Hands service project with the ward, picking up trash in the beautiful park surrounding the Eiffel Tower. We were in normal street clothes, and I decided it would be the perfect opportunity to sport my Paris Saint Germain jersey. It was fun, and there were even a few people who came up and questioned us about our nametags.

Our baptisms with Michele and Sandrine didn’t go through this past weekend. We found ourselves a bit disappointed at times, but it was incredible to see how the Lord blessed us in other ways. Michele is still working on giving up smoking and Sandrine wanted to wait a few more weeks, which is fine. We are excited to keep working with them towards their new dates coming up in June!

One morning, Soeur Wynn woke up and told me she had a dream. She told me of a woman named Madame Dedenis, and how she felt like we needed to pass by and see her. She seemed somewhat hesitant about going, but I reminded her that if she felt prompted to do something, that we needed to do it. We were pretty booked for the day with appointments, but we decided we would go by anyway. When we finally stopped by, it was the end of the day, around 8:30pm. We didn’t have much time, and right before we arrived, Soeur Wynn told me the story of this 60-year-old French woman, Madame Dedenis. She had referred herself online to receive the missionaries, as she was interested in genealogy, but after a few lessons with the sisters, she stopped completely. She wanted nothing more to do with the church and none of the missionaries knew why.
When we knocked on her door, she smiled and let us right in. Soeur Wynn turned to me with a huge surprised look on her face, not believing how willing she was to let us in! We walked through cluttered pathways, squeezing through stacks and stacks of books to sit on her bed in this single room apartment. I introduced myself, and joked saying, "Do you like to read?" She laughed and started to tell us all about her love for learning and love of God. We weren’t sure where to start, but we simply asked how she was doing.
All of a sudden, the room went quiet. Madame Dedenis, turned to us with tears in her eyes and said, "I have cancer." My heart broke for this perfect stranger, and I couldn’t help but tear up as I heard her weep. We said we were so sorry, and asked her when she had found out. She replied, "About 40 minutes ago. I came home straight from the doctor. It’s such hard news, you know? I can’t tell anyone … my aged mother has severe health problems and couldn’t take the news. My sweet daughter has a family of her own, and I can’t worry her with my problems. But it feels so good to tell somebody. How did you know to come? I will forever thank my God that you came."
Soeur Wynn and I turned to each other with our jaws dropped! We had no idea! Madame Dedenis continued to confide in us and we testified of the peace we can all find through the Atonement of Christ. It was incredible! She kept thanking us for coming and tears of joy fell down her face as she hugged us goodbye.
As we walked home, Soeur Wynn and I just shook our heads, in awe of the miracle that had just occurred. It was sprinkling rain so we pulled out our umbrellas and began talking about how we know that God truly does love his children, and how perfectly timed our visit was with her. As we turned to enter the metro, our eyes caught the most beautiful thing: a rainbow, gleaming across the sky. I couldn’t help but smile as I realized that our Heavenly Father had left his celestial signature to remind us that He really is there, and that He loves ALL of His children!

I know there are no such things as coincidences. The Lord has a plan for each of us and plays a very large role in our everyday lives. Whether we choose to see those blessings or not is up to us. I know that He knows me by name. He truly is our Father and He knows what is best for us!

I am so excited for this upcoming transfer, to be working with my new companion, Soeur Doyle! Our mission is still shooting for our goal of 125 baptisms before the end of June! We are at 61! I know that our amies in Paris that are preparing for their baptism can be a part of this inspired goal! Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, emails and letters. I have never felt more love and support than at this time. I LOVE MY MISSION! Have a wonderful week!

Soeur Madeline Vance