France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Monday, June 9, 2014

We Live For Our Faith



What another crazy wonderful week in Paris! It’s really starting to heat up here, and it reminds me of the good ol' humidity in Ohio! For Pday today, Soeur Doyle and I climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower! It was something I always dreamed of doing! We ended up meeting a huge choir group at the top from San Antonio, and most of them were members of our church. They treated us like celebrities and all wanted a picture with us! So funny!

My exchange in Rouen, Normandy was so wonderful! I was with Soeur Berge, a missionary who has been out for a year. We had so many powerful appointments where we were able to testify of the restored gospel. We found a cute French family as well!! We were doing some contacting and we both felt so strongly that we needed to cross the street. We stopped a blonde French lady and started testifying of eternal families. She was super touched, and began to cry as we prayed with her! It was so cool! As we were leaving, on JUNE 6 (DDAY!), we passed by the sacred stake where Joan of Arc was burned. I felt the Spirit so strongly as I thought of her and her example. I love this quote said of her, and am always reminded of her courage and desire to stand up for what was right no matter the price:
"She could leave her family, speak to knights, to bishops, to a king, wear armor, wield a sword, go into battle, lead men, bear the pain of arrows that pierced her body and return to the fight, leap from towers, even crown a King. And when this was over, she could bear up under the relentless questioning of the most educated men of the day who tried, hour after hour, week by week, to pinion her into confessing heresy, to abandon faith in her mission, and betray the message God had sent her to achieve. Yet she held her own, until broken at last, she was led weeping to her painful death. She knew she was right, that she had been called of God to save her beloved France. This she would do for she could do nothing less."
Joan of Arc truly is one of my greatest heroes. I know that we too, as missionaries, are called of God to bring about His great work. Unlike Joan, we are not asked to die for our faith, but asked to LIVE for it. We are asked to stand as bright beacons in this dark world and light the way for others to follow and come unto Christ. What a noble calling!

I love you all so very much! We are truly seeing so many miracles in this mission! We continue to work and pray for our goal of 125 baptisms before the end of this month. Michele continues to progress and feels more and more strength each day. We did splits with two BYU study abroad students, Tess and Auburn, who are preparing to go on missions. They were incredible and brought such a special spirit! Those preparing to serve: go out with the missionaries!

I know this gospel is true. Jesus is our perfect example. We had an incredible stake conference this week where we watched a broadcast that was being shown all over Europe. We heard Elder Neil L. Andersen speak, as well as President Dieter F. Uchtdorf. They testified that the work here is going to keep exploding as the Lord truly is preparing the hearts of the people here to receive the gospel. All we must do is invite others to come unto him!

I love you all; stay strong!

Soeur Madeline Vance