This week has
been amazing! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! Last Tuesday, Elder M. Russell Ballard
came and spoke to us. He talked about how we don’t need to stress as missionaries
trying to learn everything; and that we've lived the gospel and we KNOW it. He
said "The top two reasons why there is such a surge of missionaries heading into the
field right now (there will be between 80,000 and 90,000 worldwide by this
summer) is because: (1) The world desperately needs the message we have to
offer, and (2) The Lord is preparing YOU (missionaries) for the rest of your
LIVES. You will have a great role in leading the church.” I've realized that the
Lord is using this time to get to know us and show us He trusts us. I am being
shaped into the "better me".
It is amazing to
see how quickly everyone in my district (there are 9 elders and sisters) is
coming together. I am ALWAYS with them, studying for hours in the classroom
every day. I love them all like family, and they are picking up the French
language so quickly. I know their diligent efforts in studying and the gift of
the Holy Ghost are playing a huge role in their success and progress. The
elders and sisters came in here 2 weeks ago knowing zero French, and now they
are praying, testifying and teaching the gospel in the French language. The
gift of tongues is real! I am really perfecting my accent, and the words are
coming faster to me than ever before. I love it and the French people so much
already!
I have been
trying to memorize a scripture a day in French and I have the account of Joseph
Smith and the First Vision down. President Thomas Monson promises anyone who
picks apart a scripture, understands the meaning of it, and memorizes one a day
will have a PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY after a year. I want that! Can you imagine? I'm
doin' it. Haha
It was my half
birthday on March 1st and yes, I know it's a big deal. That’s why I
made sure everyone else knew that I was officially 19 and a half too. Haha!
There's an elder
in my district that reminds me of the guy in Nacho Libre. One of the funniest
people alive! He's Canadian and, yes, it made me think of my two awesome BYU
roommates, Nicole Smith and Jordan Gray. At meals he is always quoting classic
lines from movies. He goes on and on and I laugh so hard sometimes that my face
and stomach literally ache! He lives on a farm/ranch and has so many funny
stories. It makes me think of the "Gueller"/my mom's side of the family.
I busted out laughing when he said, "We raise pigs. Most people
underestimate them - they're vicious beasts - they'll eat ANYTHING. If you pass
out in their pen, they'll EAT ya!!" Bahahhaa
I am doing well -
a little sick last week, but even a nasty cold doesn’t slow this sister down!
haha. I am doing all I can to be obedient with exactness and I am truly gaining
a testimony of it. Even the tiny rules like getting to bed at 10:30pm and
waking up at the crack of dawn at 6:30am sharp. I know I will be blessed, and
already have for that obedience. I have so much energy and I know the Lord is
looking out for me.
San Francisco was
such an awesome experience! I have never been to California before, so I was
grinning ear to ear as we landed there on that sunny day. I was close to my
brother's mission but we weren't able to arrange things to see each other. Oh
well, I know he is working hard and I’m looking forward to our phone call when
I leave for France! We got our Visas at the French consulate and then went to
Pier 39 - sooo awesome! A shout out to Rebecca Malmrose, my best bud, for
living in the Bay Area (and all the other people I know from there – like the
wonderful Baeza family)! Anyway, I started to squeal with joy when I saw the
adorable sea lions basking in the sun. Everyone in my group was making fun of
me, but I didn’t care - they were precious! They made me think of my family and
all the shows I’ve watched on Animal Planet with them! We ate at Boudin and got
to see the Zig Zag road and the Golden Gate Bridge! What an awesome day trip …
and of course, I grabbed Cafe Rio on the way back - it was a nice change from
the glorious MTC food.
This past week I
have really strived to find ways to strengthen my faith in Jesus Christ. Our French
teacher, Brother Nelson, is a return missionary who also served in Paris only 8
months ago. One day he scratched the lesson he had initially prepared for our
class and answered all of our questions about the mission ... and the spirit
was so strong. I can tell by the way he speaks about his mission that he
absolutely LOVED it. He gave it his all and accepted the Lord’s will throughout
his time there. Sure, he had hard days and disappointments, but he LEARNED from
them. I can only believe that my brother, Elder Vance, is serving with that
same level of diligence, charity and obedience. What a great example to me. The
spirit was so strong in the room - I could NOT deny it. I had never felt that
much joy discovering new gospel truths, such as how free agency and choices in
our premortal existence have affected our lives here on earth and those things
that we have been foreordained to do. Christ also made choices … He chose to
give up his life and die. He inherited mortality from his mother and that's why
His sacrifice and the Atonement is so incredible!
He also talked
about how we must not get discouraged in the face of disappointment. He said
"We must not get discouraged. If you get discouraged knocking on doors and
getting them slammed in your face, how STRONG is your faith?? You have to have
FAITH in the restored truths you know and act upon them. … when it gets hard,
hit your knees." I will never forget that lesson.
My prayers are
constantly being answered here. I know yours can too. BELIEVE it. I have seen answers to my prayers throughout
my life, but I am realizing, now more than ever, that Heavenly Father really
does hear and answer our prayers.
I watched the
devotional by Elder David A. Bednar called "Character of Christ." It
has changed my life!! "The work is more about who you ARE than what you
say." So all of you out there who are thinking of serving a mission, DO
IT! Get your life in order, live the gospel and be worthy to do it. I can
promise you, you will be ready to do so and will not regret it!
Elder Bednar also
talked about the Character of Christ and the concept that He turns OUTWARD when
we, or the "natural man", turn inward. We are often very
self-centered and worry about what WE want and look over the needs of those
around us. It’s something we all do. We are encouraged to try and overcome the
"natural man" and act as Christ would … turning OUTWARD. This is not
MY mission. It is the LORD's. Elder Bednar talked about how it's not about US.
Who cares about what I want? Who CARES if I get doors slammed in my face? It's
not about ME. It's about OTHERS. He encouraged us to "quit worrying about
how we want things to play out and whether or not my mission will be a success. It's
not about ME.
I love this gospel. I love the knowledge we have and am grateful
for the temples on this earth that can SEAL our families together so that we
may be with them for eternity! Who wouldn't want that? We had the chance to go
to the Provo Temple this past week, and there was such a profound feeling of
peace there. I love my own family and appreciate their support and examples to
me. I know I must strive to obtain the character of Christ and TURN outward
when I want to turn in. On those days when I need comfort or peace, I need to
get on my knees and pray for OTHERS to have comfort and peace.
Thank you for all of your support. I know why I am here and I am
so grateful for all of you and for the support and examples you are to me! Have
a wonderful week!
Love,
Soeur Madeline Vance