France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Friday, March 15, 2013

We Can Know For Ourselves



I absolutely love the Missionary Training Center! If I were to go home right now, it would still have been worth it just to come here and have the MTC experience. There have been so many things I have learned about the gospel and about myself. I am so excited that my friends are getting their mission calls and am anxious to hear where they are going! There is no greater calling than that of a full-time missionary.

I am a little over halfway through my stay here in the MTC. I cannot believe I will be in PARIS, FRANCE in a little over two weeks – it is so exciting! Time is such a blur here … it's true when they say that days feel like weeks, and weeks feel like days. It has been great to meet so many young men and women from around the world, learn about who they are and why they decided to come here, and come to know how they have set aside their lives to serve. Some people have sacrificed so much for this opportunity to bless the lives of others and it is so inspiring to me.

Last week was Soeur Wynn’s 21st birthday. She is part of our district and we did our best to make it a special day for her. I think she was really touched, and said she had never had such a wonderful birthday. I was so happy when my companion and I were making cards for her and decorating her bed with candy, food, and chocolate. After working out and running with Soeur Wynn every day, I have really grown to love her and respect her unwavering testimony of the gospel, even through the many challenges she has been through in her life.

While there is so much to learn about missionary work at the MTC, perhaps the most important thing we are taught is the importance of service. Even the most boring or difficult service can be fun. For our service project this week, Soeur Wade and I cleaned the water fountains on each of the five floors in the gym building.  It cracks me up every time we do it, because we just go in there with a smile on our faces, even though its 6am in the morning! We end up having a blast together and making so much fun out of our cleaning. We had to use this "acid cleaner spray" to disinfect the water fountains and we were required to wear a pair of goggles. I don't know long they've been here, or where they've been, but wow, they reeked! Hahahaha! Soeur Wade and I were laughing so hard as we put our faces into those masks that they began to fog up and seemed to smell even more! Gotta love it!

We had the opportunity to watch "Music and The Spoken Word" on Sunday, which was so nice. It's a program with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and they just sing a bunch of beautiful songs; nothing touches me more than a beautiful piece of music. I am always able to feel Heavenly Father's love for me and I always leave feeling a desire to strive a little harder to be a little better.

This week we have been role playing with our two teachers (Frere Nelson and Soeur Sandoval), who are both French speaking returned missionaries, as though they are investigating the church. Even though I've always known it was important, I have really gained an insight into the importance of having charity for those we teach and those around us. Charity is having the pure love of Christ for someone else. How often do we have that kind of love for those around us? I know I don’t always have that kind Christ-like love for others, and that I need to constantly be praying for the gift of charity in my life. It makes all the difference in the world when those we are teaching KNOW we care about them. No one will care how well I can speak the French language if I am not able to connect with them and show them that I care for them. My love for those the people in this world is why I have decided to serve as a missionary; to help those people who are lost … whether they have questions about who they are, where they came from, why they are here, or where they are going, I can help them FIND those answers for themselves! I feel so blessed to know that I came to this earth after from living with my Heavenly Father for the purpose of  gaining a physical body and to be tested; to see if I would follow His commandments and use this time on Earth to become more like God. That is WHY we are here. It is such an amazing opportunity for me to know that I have the opportunity to help people discover that for themselves. I am also grateful to know that we will also have the opportunity to return to live with our Heavenly Father and our families FOREVER after this life on earth. It isthis wondrous plan of our Heavenly Father’s that we call the Plan of Salvation, or the Plan of Happiness. When I really think about it, tears come to my eyes and my heart is so full of gratitude to know the answers to the questions so many people search for their entire lives.

The incredible thing is that we can find answers to all of these questions and more in The Book of Mormon. I have learned more than ever that if The Book of Mormon is true, then everything we believe is true! I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it really IS true. The most amazing part of the restored gospel is that each us can find out if these things are true for ourselves. As missionaries, we are only going out to help others seek the DESIRE to find out if these things are true for themselves. This is not a "convincing" matter; I do not know the scriptures inside and out by any means. I am sure that I will meet many people on my mission and in this life that know the scripture far better than me, but I DO know one thing. I have a testimony and I KNOW that Christ lives. As the Only Begotten of the Father, He really is my elder brother and my Savior. This isn't just a Christmas or Bible story. He really did come to earth; and He came for YOU and ME … to save us. I have prayed with all of my heart to know if these things … the things I have believed my whole life … are actually true. Confirming answers have come and I know, beyond a SHADOW OF A DOUBT, that they are indeed true. I wouldn't be out here on my mission if I didn't REALLY know.

I've learned the importance of prayer in my life. There have been times in my life when I wasn’t as consistent with my prayers. But through some of the trials in my life, especially my two major knee injuries/surgeries, I have been brought to those injured knees in prayer. Whenever I look down at my legs and see those small scars from my surgeries, I am reminded of The Man who carried me through when I couldn't walk. I am reminded of the times when I cried out to my Savior because I didn't think I could keep going. I know Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father know me personally and are well aware of my needs. They really are there; and they hear and answer our prayers. If you don't believe, try it. I can promise you that if you pray with real intent, whether you are asking for an answer, for peace, for comfort, or any other righteous desire, IT WILL BE GIVEN TO YOU by a loving Heavenly Father.

More than anything, the things I have “learned” on my mission have been reminders of things I have known my entire life. I was raised in a wonderful family, with parents who taught me that I am literally a daughter of God. I feel so blessed to be able to wear my black nametag every day as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and share what I know to be true with those who are searching. I love the gospel and my family so much, and am so grateful for all of your love and support.

Have a wonderful week! Remember to serve and smile! It's the best recipe for a good day.

Love,

Soeur Madeline Vance