France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

God Loves Us All



Hallelujah. I made it through another week as a missionary. Just kidding … we had a super week!

Last week my mom sent me an email reminding me that the Lord is aware of the personal details of our lives and nothing is too small to for our prayers. She encouraged me to pray for strength and stamina to do the work. Little did I know that her counsel would come in handy the very next day and throughout this last week. I woke up the next morning with a terrible cold and the sorest throat of my life! I have never had strep throat, but I had such a hard time breathing and my throat was on fire! I did all I could to make it better, but the cold and rainy weather all week didn’t help either. As I prayed to the Lord to gain the strength to do His work, I began to see the blessings that come from getting on our knees and praying for the smallest things. I am finally feeling better and did not let a little sickness slow me down!

First and foremost: The baptism of our sweet investigator, and gypsy, Sofia! What a special day … and we were blessed to have a day full of sunshine. I had been praying for Sofia all week as she is very timid and was nervous to do her baptism in front of so many people. She truly has become like a sister to me, and as a 19 year old (closer to her age), I feel like I am able to connect with her in ways that (24 year old) Sister Evans cannot. It was marvelous seeing Sofia dressed in white. My eyes filled with tears as I pinned her hair out of her face with bobby pins and looked down to see a huge smile on her face. She was so excited! Right before she entered in the water for baptism, she became super nervous and cried, "I can't do this!" Our bishop, the man performing the baptismal ordinance, spoke to her calmly and told her everything was going to be okay. In a panic, Sofia looked to me for affirmation that she should go forward. I nodded my head, smiled, and told her that everything was going to be okay and that she had made the right decision. There was something so incredible about seeing my "sister" Sofia, come up from the water, knowing the significance of the ordinance she had just performed. My heart burned with joy as I was able to talk to her after her baptism and explain to her that she was perfectly CLEAN, as she had been washed from all of her sins, and would have the opportunity to renew that covenant each week going forward as she takes the sacrament. We gave her a framed picture of the temple as a gift and encouraged her to make it her goal to go there some day. I was so proud of her and I know that little moments like this make any hard thing worth it!

We also participated in a 6K charity race for an organization that helps orphan children in Nepal. It was a fun experience being able to run with all of the members of the stake for such a great cause! It was also funny because my brother, Elder Spencer Vance, ran in a charity race in his mission only a week ago!

We were at our amie Sophie's house, and as always, she offered us something to drink. We are always running (literally) late and often arrive winded and thirsty at her house. She had just told us how tired she was so I thought I would do it for her since Sophie was already sitting down and was exhausted. So I went into the kitchen to get us some water. I brought out the bottle and three glasses and started to pour the beverages. Sophie and Soeur Evans were discussing some problem she is having with her computer and I decided to dive into my drink. I gulped a mouthful of “water”, and it was wretched! The bottle was marked 'water' but was a little beat up and kind of old-looking. I came to find out that I had just poured all of us some nice white vinegar to drink and gulped down a mouthful! We were all laughing so hard, especially Sophie. She told us that she loves us both, even when we're dumb (she's really direct like that, haha). WHO STORES VINEGAR in WATER BOTTLES??

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve. We never feel like we have enough time, and are doing all we can to find those who are ready to hear the restored gospel! I am so grateful for the knowledge I have to know that everything is possible through Jesus Christ. I am gaining such an appreciation and love for singing the hymns here ... even if they are in French. I know there is a power that comes through going to church every week. As missionaries, one of the neatest things is being able to promise blessings to those we teach. I know that if we come to church with a question in mind, and we pray to find an answer that we WILL get one. Heavenly Father is SO aware of us ... even with the smallest things. Forgetting that means we forget who we are … we are children of God and He loves us!

I love the work, and I know it is already (and will always be) the greatest blessing in my life. I would love it if you would include our investigators in your prayers, as I know there is power in prayer from my own personal experiences. Pray for them to open their heart to Jesus Christ and to do all that is in their power to know the Book of Mormon is true and act upon their answer.

Our specific amis are:
The Stagno family, Mado, Sophie, Sandrelle

Thank you so much for your love, emails, and support! Life as a missionary is crazy as I am continually trying to keep my heart and mind focused on the work! For those I have yet to write back, I’m sorry! Patience is a virtue! LOVE YOU ALL! Have a wonderful week and pray to your Father that loves you more than you know!

Love,

Soeur Madeline Vance

p.s. To overcome fear and doubt in your life, “look unto Christ in every thought.” - Doctrine & Covenants 6:36