France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Jesus is the Christ



We had a wonderful week! Let's start off with ... SAMEDI SPORTS! We don't get to play soccer EVERY Saturday, but when we do, it’s always a blast! It makes me miss it so much sometimes! We only go when we have an ami (someone interested in learning more about our church) there with us. This week, Noé, Camille's brother came! He was one of the best ones out there ... who knew?? I didn't score any goals this week ... I know, sorry, BUT I did have some great headers and crosses/switches of the field! This week we played FULL field! I felt like I was in a real game ... running ALL over the place! I ended up being SO incredible sore afterwards because my body wasn’t used to the sprinting up and down the field like that!

At the end of the day, my body was still super sore. We were waddling around all day. Sr. Evans contacted some girl on the metro and decided at the last second to get off at the same stop as her to get her contact information. I didn't realize it and reacted slow, so Sr. Evans was already off by the time I was heading to exit the metro and the doors had already started to close. I ended up getting slammed between them and had to bust my way through what seemed like two 400 lb. linemen closing in on me. It absolutely KILLED! I made a scene and the people on the metro laughed as I made the desperate attempt to stay within sight and sound of my companion. Man, the things you gotta do to keep the mission rules! The metro is always an adventure, and waiting for the metro in this weather (photo below … yes, that’s me), can be a challenge to both body and spirit as well.

I have been reading from the book, "Jesus the Christ" by James E. Talmage, and it is absolutely incredible! I definitely recommend it! There are times when I am reading it silently to myself during personal study and I just say "wow!" out loud without even realizing it! I learn so many new things every day and truly feel like I am coming to know my Savior better in very real ways. There is great power and comfort that comes with the knowledge that Jesus is the Christ.

We ended up having five amis (investigators) come to church on Sunday, one of them being sweet Sandrelle. She studied with the Jehovah's Witnesses for a year and a half before meeting us. When we first invited her to come to church she said that she didn't really like the idea of being in an enclosed, cold building where people have to be silent and where children aren't welcome. We assured her that church is a wonderful experience where we can receive personal revelation and receive answers to our questions through the Holy Ghost. So she said she would come the following Sunday, but cancelled the morning of, and promised she would come the next week. She came to church yesterday and LOVED it. She said that she felt something “weird, but good-weird, she felt … good”. It was our fast and testimony meeting, and she was really touched by the testimonies and personal experiences of the members. She was so excited to be able to come next week and bring her children, after she saw how family-friendly we are in the church. It was a miracle the she came with the preconceptions she had about how church would be with us. She found it to be a warm environment where she could feel the spirit of the Lord. She was really touched and is excited to come back!

We also had a super awesome Family Home Evening with Camille's family and the stake president’s family! We made American chocolate chip cookies with them for the activity! It was a big hit!

Miracles happen out here every day. I love my mission and know God wants me here … I feel His love and the push that can only come from a Father. He is your Heavenly Father too, and no matter your situation or difficulties, the gospel of Jesus Christ will help you understand where God wants you to be too! I love you all - have a wonderful week!

Soeur Madeline Vance