France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Adventure Ahead, Piece of My Heart Left Behind



Exciting news! I hit my 7-month mark this week and … I am headed to BELGIUM!!! I will be leaving this first area and am transferring to a city called Charleroi (Shar-luh-wa). I am packing my things and leaving early Wednesday morning to meet my new companion, Soeur Gordon. We are doing something called "whitewashing", which means that both my companion and I are new to the area. Normally they keep a missionary there who knows the area well and then they bring in a new one, but it sounds like President Poznanski wants to mix things up and is having both of us come in together! It should be fun getting to know the area; I'm sure we will have some good stories to tell about getting lost next week!

Don't send any more mail to the Lille address. You can still write letters to the mission office address (23, rue du Onze Novembre 78110 Le Vesinet - FRANCE) and they will forward it out to us in our area. My new direct address in Belgium is:

Soeur Madeline Vance
2D, rue du Moria Bte 2
6032 Mont-Sur-Marchienne - BELGIUM

(FYI – it usually takes three American stamps gets letters out here, or an international one of course.)

Elder Oaks came yesterday and we have been preparing as a mission for his visit these last few months. We had a goal to have 100 baptisms in those three months (or two 6-week transfers), at a time of year when baptisms are usually lowest (they had 74 baptisms last year during that period). We all worked super hard to bring people into the happiness of the gospel. We gave our hearts to the Lord and, believe it or not, we had 115 baptisms in the two transfers! Five of them were from our ward here in Villeneuve D'Ascq! We exceeded our seemingly impossible goal! The Lord truly blessed our efforts and it was so great to have our two recent converts at the huge multi-stake conference yesterday! Elder Oaks came to reorganize the stakes in France and to add a new stake! In 1976 President Kimball prophesied that one day France would be covered completely in stakes and, as of yesterday, that prophecy was fulfilled. President Hinckley also prophesied in 2002 that we would have a temple here. The temple was announced 1 ½ years ago but it has never commenced because of huge problems with the land, government and all sorts of things … but yesterday it was announced that they have started building!!! The work in France is moving along so quickly and the people here are ready to receive it.

Soeur Francis and I had an interesting and wonderful last week of the transfer! We knew it would be the last week before I left, so we were doing our best to stay focused and busy. We had a wonderful soiree familiale with the sweet Stagno family. They got back from their vacation in Canada and it was so nice to see them again. We gave a lesson on temples and genealogy. It was cool getting the parents and children excited about family history, since both of the parents are converts and there is so much temple work to be done! I know the temple is the House of the Lord. We must do ALL we can to be worthy to go, so we can perform sacred ordinances such as being sealed to our families for eternity!
We had the opportunity to celebrate Astou's 29th birthday with her! She is so sweet and blows me away every time I see her with the progress she continues to make as a new member of the church. She is continually reading her scriptures and shares the gospel with the kids and her friends. Her husband is currently living and working in Paris, but he came for her baptism and was really touched by the changes he saw in her. We got his contact information and passed it on to the Paris zone leader missionaries, who set up an appointment to teach him. They were impressed to find out he was reading the Book of Mormon we gave him, and told us their lesson went really well. We were so happy and surprised to find out that they set a baptismal date with him for October 27th! I know that the Lord brings about great things by our small efforts. It’s incredible to see the ripple effect that Astou is having on the people around her.

Soeur Francis and I had a really incredible miracle this last week. We were walking down a main street when I saw a young woman sitting on the steps of a house in the rain. I thought that maybe she was locked out of her house, so we walked over to talk to her. We asked if she was locked out and she said she left her keys at her parent’s house, so her landlord was coming to let her in. I told her that we were just heading to the house of a family in our ward who invited us for dinner and asked if she wanted to come for a warm meal. She was kind of hesitant, but we told her that the family had told us we could bring a friend, so she agreed. Her name is Amelie. She spoke to us in English, but she's French. She was so great! She doesn't really know if she believes in God … she prays every day, but doesn't really know why. She came with us to the soirée familiale and, before we knocked on the door, she said, "this isn't a trap is it?" We laughed and told her it wasn’t and we went in and had a wonderful time. The family connected so well with her and the mother is actually from Brazil and wanted to learn French better, and Amelie wants to learn Portuguese, so they are going to teach each other! It really was such an incredible experience! We haven't been able to meet with her again, but she said she'd love to come to more church activities. Amelie truly was an answer to our prayers. My testimony of acting on the promptings or impressions from the Spirit continues to strengthen as I do my best to show the Lord I am willing to do His will and am blessed in seeing the fruit that comes from that action.

On our way to try and find one of our referrals, we took a wrong bus and ended up riding on it for a good hour! We had no idea where we were and couldn't get off anywhere as we were surrounded by corn fields and cows grazing to our left and right. At first we grew really stressed because we had no clue where we were, but decided to laugh about it, and prayed that we would figure it out. We ended up getting off in Armentieres, clear on the other side of the Lille area. It was hilarious as the bus driver kept looking at us in his rearview mirror, wondering when and where we were getting off.

I truly feel so blessed to have the support of so many people. With this new transfer coming up, my heart is full of love for these precious people. These past six months here in Villeneuve D'Ascq have meant the world to me, and I truly am a better person for having served here. The Lord put specific people in my path, and allowed me to touch the hearts of certain people I know that only I could touch. So many people have changed my life and motivated me to want to do better and to find those who are searching for peace and hope in their lives. I will miss so many people … I can't even begin to name names. I just know the Lord is opening up my heart for more people that will enter in my new area in Belgium.

As I say goodbye to those I love, I hold back tears as my mind flashes through memories with each person I see. I pull my gyspy girls into my arms and give them one last hug as I tell them to stay strong; and to remember that their Father in Heaven loves them. I look around the congregation at church, seeing families reactivated, new people brought into the fold, and motivated members striving to do the Lord's will. Sure, some days were really hard and the weather wasn't always ideal, but I know one thing for sure … miracles are real. I saw more miracles in this ville than I had ever seen before in my life. Was it because they were never there? No, it’s because I rarely took the chance to notice the Lord's hand in my days. He was always there and always will be; He who will save all from their sorrows and sins. I'm not perfect and I have so much to learn, but I can honestly say that I did my best to make this place more Christ-like than I found it. I know the Lord is proud of me and I am so excited to hear about our amies’ success and progress well after I leave. I am comforted to know that the Lord will take care of these people. My best friend from the MTC, Soeur Wynn, will be taking my place. It's nice knowing that sweet Soeur Francis and Soeur Wynn will watch over these precious people I've grown to love.

I know there is more ahead; the Lord needs me somewhere else now, and I am excited for the new challenges and moments of pure joy that will come as well. It's during hard moments or change that we learn to rely on our Savior the most.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEK! There really is a power in the scriptures. Read them daily and try to apply them to your life!

Soeur Madeline Vance