Sometimes I forget that I am in the beautiful country of
France! It is becoming more and more like home to me … the language, the
culture, the people ... I love it! This will be my last week in Villeneuve
D'Ascq. It will be an adventure leaving my first city and moving on to the next
with a new companion! I will really miss it, as the people have become like
close family. But change is good, it makes us grow and challenges us, forcing
us to help where help is needed and meet new incredible people along the way as
well.
Soeur Francis and I had a busy but wonderful week! We are at
the end of her 12-week training program, and I am realizing now more than ever
that it was probably ME who learned more than anyone. I have learned to rely on
the Lord, work in unity, and follow the Spirit. Soeur Francis is such a great
example to me and I will forever be grateful for her desire to be here. She
truly has helped me keep that "new missionary" fire going strong!
We had a neat experience this last week. Soeur Francis and I
were sitting across from one another in the full, hot and crowded metro car on
the way to one of our proselyting areas. I saw an elderly woman standing a few
feet away from me and stood up, offering her my seat so she could sit down. She
did, and as I stood and held the silver pole to keep my balance as, I was
thinking and praying to be able to know who I should find tonight, and with
whom I needed to share the gospel. When the elderly woman got up from her spot
and exited the metro, I returned to my seat and smiled at Soeur Francis sitting
across from me. I then had the sudden but strong impression that I needed to
pull out my French Book of Mormon and start reading it silently to myself. So I
pulled it out and rested it in my lap and opened to one of my favorite chapters
that talks about the resurrected Christ ministering to the Nephites in 3 Nephi.
There were two people sitting to my right and suddenly I could just feel the
young woman next to me leaning over, peering onto the pages, curious to find
out what I was reading. She didn't just shoot a glance; it was obvious that she
was reading the entire page! I discretely slid the book over a bit, so it would
be easier for her to read, haha. After a while, I felt like I needed to talk to
her. I wasn't going to just sit there and let her silently read and turn the
page without saying something about what I believe or what this amazing book
was! Haha!
I asked her if she had ever seen or read this book. She was
a bit startled at first that I had noticed (it was obvious), but then she went
on to tell me she hadn’t seen or read it before. Her name was Celia and she was
a young college student studying at a nearby university to be a neurosurgeon.
She went on to explain that she was an atheist and believed only in science.
She then began asking question after question, wondering how I could KNOW that
Jesus Christ lives and was resurrected, when I had never seen him. I prayed in
my head to know how I could answer her many questions … we ended up riding the
metro way past the stop we were supposed to get off at, and had an awesome
discussion. We got off the metro, and I ended up giving her the Book of Mormon!
She was interested in learning more and said she would start reading the book.
We exchanged contact information and made plans to get in touch with her the
next week.
What I didn't know (until later) was that the ENTIRE time,
Soeur Francis had the strongest impression to talk to this lady sitting next to
me. She was trying to figure out a way to do it, but figured it would be too
hard to start talking across everyone in a loud and crowded metro. She then
began to PRAY. She began to PRAY that I would start to talk to her. I had no
idea!!!!! I just pulled out my Book of Mormon, and later talked to her. Soeur
Francis later told me that she wasn't able to hear the conversation that we
were having, but could tell that I was carefully trying to think of responses
to her questions. She told me she began to silently pray ... harder than she
ever had before that I would know what to say; that I would be able to testify
with power and not be confounded by her questions. As I tried to follow the
Spirit, I found that the words flowed easily for me. It wasn't until later that
I had found out that my sweet companion was praying for me the entire time!!!
Companionship unity is SO vital to this missionary work.
Without it, we cannot have the Spirit with us; and without the Spirit we cannot
teach! I am so grateful for a companion that follows the Spirit and loves me
enough to pray for me when I need it most.
I truly know that people are able to recognize us as disciples
of Christ. This past week, a woman in the metro leaned over to us and
frantically said, "Can you two pray for my brother? He is in the
hospital." She later told us she felt a good and warm feeling when she saw
us and that she could see the light of hope and happiness in our eyes. She felt
like we had something important to bring to her. We really are those examples
for the people around us! We were able to give her words of comfort and set up
a return appointment to meet with her and start teaching her the restored
gospel.
We had an awesome soiree familiale with my beloved gyspy
Srekovic family! Aw, I love all of these kids so much! Our bishop was able to
arrange some things and found them a house that he is letting them rent for the
time being until the father is able to pay it off. It is incredible to see them
so excited about the simplest things we take for granted! A toilet that
flushes, a washing machine, spacious rooms with hard tile floor, pretty painted
walls ... they are so grateful for the things they are given! We encouraged
them to "Choose the Right" or "Choisir le Bien" and helped
them make paper chains, with things listed on them that will help them follow
Christ in their lives. I will miss them so much! They have the biggest hearts
and are so willing to serve and give.
Unfortunately the Elder Oaks fireside in Paris with the
missionaries was canceled because there is too much going on with the
organization of a new stake! September 15th will be an historic day
for France! There will no longer be any roaming districts, or groups of wards,
together … France will officially be made up of stakes! It’s so exciting, groups
of LDS members all across France, unified in building Zion in their little part
of Europe.
On Sunday, it was funny because Soeur Francis and I were
called on to teach the Sunday School lesson minutes before it started, and I
was also asked to give a talk right on the spot! It's amazing to see how the
Lord blesses us to step up to the plate and do what needs to be done when we
are willing to do so … even in French! It is going to be so easy to do that when
I get back in English! We talked about the Atonement and how we can better use
it in our lives. I bore my testimony in Sacrament meeting on replacing our fear
with faith. If we put our lives in line with the Savior, He will help us
overcome any trial that comes our way!
After church, we had a wonderful missionary fireside for the
members, encouraging them to help us in this "great work of
salvation!" We showed a couple clips of the broadcast and invited them to
keep working with us and to continue to allow us to have FHE's at their home
and to fellowship our amies. We (four sister missionaries) sang a beautiful
musical number to the hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much". It was
so beautiful in French and we even translated a special verse that they only
have in English (Kenneth Cope) into French! It was super powerful!
Thank you for your prayers. This is the greatest work we can
ever be a part of and I encourage you all to watch the special "Work of Salvation"
broadcast and find ways YOU can share the gospel with your friends and family
around you.
It’s not just up to the missionaries to do this work. We
need YOU! I love you all so much!
Soeur Vance
p.s. I will be transferred in a week, so you can write to my
mission address for now at:
Soeur Madeline Vance
23, rue du Onze Novembre
78110 Le Vesinet - FRANCE