France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Paris Bound!



Last week I didn’t even bother telling you that transfers were coming up. I had just arrived here in Charleroi and figured I would stay here … wrong. I got a phone call Monday telling me that I would be leaving early Wednesday morning for PARIS! My head is still spinning … wait, I just got here! And not only that, but I’ve really started loving it here!

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve with Sœur Gordon. She is still relatively new in the mission but works like a horse. She is so bold, but loving, with the people we teach and meet, it’s incredible! I will really miss working with her as we have grown so close by “whitewashing” here in Charleroi. She has so much faith and I know she will continue to get big things going here in this city. As for me, another part of my heart will be left in Charleroi. I will never be able to forget the inspiring people here that have changed my life. I am headed to the heart of France - PARIS - to find that family I know the Lord is preparing for me!

My penpal, Camille, and her family drove an hour and a half to come visit me on my preparation day (Pday) on Monday! They are so wonderful and have truly become my family. Sœur Gordon was able to meet them and we were able to have a wonderful time eating pizza together at a nice Italian restaurant just down the street from where we live. Afterwards, I was able to take them to the church building not too far away and give them a tour. My heart filled with joy as I showed them the many paintings of Christ that line the walls, the little nursery and primary rooms for children on Sundays as well as the many other classrooms. Camille’s mom asked so many questions and really seemed interested. As we entered the chapel, there was such a reverence and strong spirit as I explained the sacred ordinance (the sacrament) we partake of each Sunday to renew our baptismal covenants. It was so neat being able to testify to them of living prophets and the importance the gospel plays in my life! I know they are being prepared to accept the gospel one day when they are fully ready. It was sad saying goodbye to them, but it was also such a blast being able to see them and share with these special people my testimony of the gospel.

Sœur Gordon and I saw another week of miracles. It’s crazy thinking back just six weeks ago when I first arrived here in Charleroi. This change and transfer has come sooner than I could have imagined, but I can honestly say that I gave it my all here. I don’t understand why I am needed in Paris, but I know that our mission president is an inspired man of God.

I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ in my life. There is nothing that brings me greater joy. Continue to share it with your friends! This is the greatest work there is!

“And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father! And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!” Doctrine & Covenants 8:15-16

Do you want an inside scoop on the daily life of a missionary? Check out this link at lds.org to find out for yourself!

I love you all!

Sœur Madeline Vance