It has always been a dream of mine to go to Paris. A year
ago, on Halloween, I opened my mission call and tears of joy filled my eyes as
I realized that dream would be coming true as a full-time servant of the Lord …
as a sister missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It
was so neat this past week to reflect on the feelings I felt as I opened my
mission call a year ago and to realize how blessed I am to be serving here in
Paris Lilas at this time. Who knows what the next transfer will bring, but I
could be here for Christmas, which would be really exciting!
Last week I packed my bags and said my goodbyes to those I
grew to love in Charleroi. It was the most difficult saying goodbye to the Ypersier
family and my sweet companion Soeur Gordon. Frere Ypersier was our ward mission
leader, and he and his wife had become like Belgian grandparents to me. They
wrote me a sweet note and I promised them I would come back and visit someday.
I had a bit of culture shock again after taking the two hour
train ride to Paris. My luggage was pretty heavy and lugging it around was
pretty hectic. We finally made it to the train station in the center of Paris.
People were everywhere! It is so fast paced; everyone is power walking and my
head seemed to be spinning. All of sudden I felt like a brand new missionary … so
many different metro lines to take and I had no idea where to go! Luckily, with
the help of some other missionaries, I was able to find my new companion, Soeur
Hill.
Soeur Hill is awesome! She is 22 years old from Dallas,
Texas. She has been on her mission for more than a year now. Like me, she
studied at BYU before her mission. It was funny because we actually discovered
that she was the teacher’s assistant in one of my nutrition classes my freshman
year! She is a lot shorter than me (haha), at only about 5'1 or 5'2. She is
super cute and has a huge heart and desire to work hard. We have already seen
so many miracles together and have strong unity. I am looking forward to these
next six weeks with her!
I love Paris Lilas already. There is such an energy here and,
even though other missionaries tell me it’s hard to find people because
everyone is so busy; or that it’s complicated with the ward at times, it just
motivates me to work harder! I am excited to see what Soeur Hill and I, with
the Lord’s help, can do together.
We have two incredible, progressing amies. They haven’t been
working with the sister missionaries for a super long time, but it’s so cool
because they were introduced to the gospel by their friends who are members.
The first amie's name is Ammara. She is from Cambodia and is
very well integrated with a family from Peru. This family was actually less-active
for a while, but it has truly been a miracle to see how their efforts of sharing
the gospel with their friend have brought them back into full activation in the
church. It’s true, doing missionary work brings a certain joy into our lives
that can’t be compared with anything else. Ammara is in her twenties and
actually comes from a Buddhist background. We were able to have a neat lesson
with her on the Book of Mormon and explained how we can receive answers to our
prayers through the Holy Ghost. The Elders came over as well and gave her a
priesthood blessing to help her with the health problems she has been dealing
with lately. Priesthood blessings only work when the person giving and the
person receiving the blessing have adequate faith that it will work. Ammara
definitely had that kind of faith, as it was incredible how the Spirit filled
the room as these young men where using the power of God to heal this young
woman. Afterwards she explained that she felt a mixture of warm and chills
start from the top of her head, down her body to her toes - she said she felt
joy and at peace. We explained that those feelings were the Holy Ghost. She
comes to church every week and has a desire to be baptized. She is so sweet,
and we are going to try to set a date with her this week!
Our second amie, Halimata is absolutely amazing. Anyone
remember Astou from when I was in Villeneuve D'Ascq? Yes, she is basically the
same person. Halimata is a young African woman with a Muslim background. Like
Astou, she is not practicing and has been looking for the truth. We had a
really powerful lesson with her. When she was first given the Book of Mormon
they encouraged her to begin by reading a couple chapters. She read 133 pages …
and several talks from General Conference! She is hungry to learn. I am really
starting to gain a testimony of the importance of having the members bring
their friends to church. It really is the springboard to conversion for these
people. Halimata’s friend has been her anchor in learning about the gospel and
is always there for her when she has a question or concern. We as missionaries
are just there to teach the fundamental principles in a clear and simple
manner, but it truly is the members that get things going.
Yesterday at church, I was asked to introduce myself and
share my testimony, as it was the first time I attended the ward. My heart
filled with love for all of the faces I saw in the congregation, even though I
hadn’t even met them yet. I testified of how the gospel has changed my life and
how it has made me into the person I am today. I strongly testified that we, as
missionaries, needed THEIR help to find families. I testified that I know that
Christ is my Savior and that He is always there for us. I truly felt as though the
Lord was guiding my words and that the Spirit was working through me. The French
flowed easily and I was able to share the things dear to my heart.
Every first Sunday of the month, we have fast and testimony
meeting where the microphone is open to the members of the congregation to
share their testimonies. After hearing many great testimonies, I look to Soeur
Hill with wide eyes of surprise as our amie, Halimata, walked to the front of
the room and up to the stand to share her testimony. She was nervous, so her
friend Nornella stood by her side and reassured her as she began to speak. We
listened intently as she went on to say she KNEW the Book of Mormon was true.
Never have I felt the Spirit quite like I did then when she shared with us how
she decided to pray to know if it was true and received her answer. She said
she had a dream where everyone was dressed in white. She had a white dress in
front of her and wanted to wear it, but her Muslim family was confused and
asked her why she was becoming Christian. She turned to them and said,
"Because I know Jesus Christ is my Savior and that the Book of Mormon is
true." As she continued with the vivid details of the dream she began to
weep. I couldn’t help but cry myself, as I was witnessing the power that comes
from the Book of Mormon and how it truly can change lives.
Last night, Soeur Hill and I decided to do some contacting.
We had about an hour and a half on the streets of Paris to stop and talk to
people and share our message with them. Most people were pretty busy but we
decided to stop and say a specific prayer. We ended up finding and talking to
two women and gave them copies of the Book of Mormon. I know the Lord loves us
and hears our prayers.
I love Paris Lilas. I know I am here for a specific purpose.
This holiday season is the time to find families. We have already found a
couple but I ask you to keep us in your prayers so we can bring a family unto
Christ; one that will be sealed for time and eternity in the temple someday. I
love you all so much … remember that the Lord loves you!
Love
Soeur Madeline Vance
23, rue du Onze
Novembre
78110 Le Vesinet –
FRANCE
