France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Beginning Anew



Happy New Year everyone! Soeur Biver and I had a wonderful Christmas! It was so much fun being able to Skype with my family. Over the course of my mission, I truly feel as though my love for my family has deepened. I may be far from them in distance, but I can honestly say that I have never felt closer to them. I am so grateful for their shining examples and friendships in my life. They motivate and encourage me to continue to work my hardest and turn my will over to the Lord.

On Christmas Eve, we ate with the Famille Tancrel. A team of elders came with us and we ate a traditional meal from Haiti! It was so good and we truly felt their love as they took the time to open their home to help us feel the true Christmas Spirit. We played different games together and laughed over the dinner table as we shared several mission experiences and shared the various Christmas traditions we do in our respective families.

Marie is one of our progressing amies, and I love her. She is a 70 year-old woman from Martinique. A couple weeks ago she shared with us that she would be spending Christmas alone. Her children have moved far away and don’t spend much time with her. Hearing this broke my heart. For some reason, it never occurred to me that there really were people out there who spent Christmas alone, in their homes, with no Christmas tree … nothing … just spending the day like any other. We went over on Christmas Eve and sang many Christmas songs and hymns with her. The Spirit entered the room and she had the biggest smile on her face. We threw Santa hats on at the end and were laughing so hard together … even though we really had nothing but each other. A few days later we stopped by to see how she was doing and tears filled her eyes as she thanked us for helping her have the greatest Christmas ever. She said, "We had nothing. No big feast, no presents, no fancy clothes or decorations ... all we had was each other … and that was all we needed. You two have a light within you that shines. Thank you for sharing that light with me as we celebrated the birth of our Savior together. This Christmas is one I will never ever forget."
Just hearing Marie say that made my Christmas season, and it is something I will never forget. Sharing that moment with her bonded us as sisters, as daughters of God, in a way that no presents, decorations, or Christmas lights could.

On Christmas Day we were allowed to sleep in! We slept in until 8:30am! Haha, it was glorious! We started the morning opening the gifts we received and had the perfect French breakfast ... crepes. We were then invited to a members home, the Michaud's, for a Christmas brunch. I was so touched by their generosity and the way they made us feel at home on such a special day. As I looked around the room, I saw other members from the ward who lived alone, and also invited to join with us to celebrate the Savior’s birth. I was so inspired by their examples and hope I will do the same when I am older. We ate goat! It was actually pretty good!

Our amies continue to progress and we are seeing so many miracles. We will be passing them over to the elders as we will both be leaving the area. I am excited for Soeur Biver to head to her mission in Louisiana! She will be great!

I know the Savior lives. I know He knows and loves each one of us. I hope that each of us will strive to stand a little taller, to be a little better, and to do a little more as this New Year approaches. We can leave behind our past mistakes and start new when we use the Savior and His atoning sacrifice in our lives. Let us make resolutions that will help us become more like Christ … more loving, more unselfish and more service-oriented. Share the joy that comes from the gospel with those around you … you will never regret it!

I love you all so much. I will be eternally grateful for the incredible people I am meeting every day here. It is my last week in Paris … leaving it better than I found it! Here I come, St. Quentin!

Love

Soeur Madeline Vance

"And Christ truly said unto our fathers: If ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me." Moroni 10:23

p.s. We went to the Opera Garnier today for our PDAY... it was so awesome! That’s where the Phantom of the Opera takes place, as well as several ballets! Sophia, you would love it!
b