Transfer News! I’m staying in PARIS! I feel so lucky to be
in the heart of France for CHRISTMAS! It’s a dream come true! Soeur Hill is
going to Cholet in the western part of France and I am going to miss her. It
has been such a great transfer serving with Soeur Hill. It was neat being able
to be with her and see things from her perspective, as she is hitting the end
of her mission. We had so many wonderful times together, too many laugh
attacks, and some very spiritual moments together as well. I will miss serving
with her, but wish her the best in her new area! My new companion’s name is
Soeur Campbell. She started her mission a few months after me, and I am sure we
will get along great! I am so excited to serve with her.
I am so thrilled that my sister Lydia received her mission
call to BARCELONA, SPAIN!!! She heads to the MTC in Madrid, Spain on May 13th!
I hope she feels as strongly as I do that Spain is where she is supposed to
serve. I know she will be an incredible instrument in the Lord’s hands. I also know
it is important for missionaries to do all they can to prepare before they
serve. Those that prepare themselves spiritually and cut off other distractions
hit the ground running when they enter the mission field. It makes all the
difference!
Christmas is around the corner! Last Monday (Preparation
Day) we went to the Christmas Marchéés (markets) on Champs Elysées, in front of
the Arc de Triomphe. There were little booths lining the streets, selling crepes,
waffles, and other kinds of foods, as well as little Christmas shops. With lights
everywhere and Christmas music playing, I felt like I was walking through a
winter wonderland! I was also able to see Le Tour Eiffel all lit up from a distance!
What a sight! Why am I so blessed to be serving in the greatest mission in the
world?!
Last Wednesday, the Ypersiers (members from the Charleroi
ward) were in town from Belgium. They took me and my companion out to eat at an
Italian restaurant here in Paris. It was so nice catching up with them. They
are such incredible Christ-like examples to me. At the end of the meal, they
gave our waitress a church pass-along card and invited her to meet with us and
talk more about our gospel message. They are amazing member missionaries! They
also gave me a huge Christmas package full of Belgium chocolate and treats! I
was so grateful, but I’m going to have to give a bunch of it away to the elders
or I’m gonna blow up! Haha.
We have been focusing on inviting our amies, and everyone we
meet, to our ward Christmas party on Saturday. Many people will be singing and
we will be eating food from countries all over the world. Our ward is full of
members from many different countries, including many Africans. It should be
fun tasting all the different foods! We have been inviting members and
less-active members alike to invite their friends to come to the party as well.
An activity like that is a great place for others to feel the Spirit of
Christmas.
President Poznanski really emphasized the importance of believing
that the Lord will bless us with people to teach if we do all we can to be
obedient and follow the Spirit. I found the following statement from Preach My Gospel to be true: "As
you do all you can under the guidance of the Holy Ghost to find people to
teach, the Lord will place specific people in your path."
One night we decided to get off at a metro stop and do some
contacting in the streets before our appointment. We only had 25 minutes to
stop and talk with people. We prayed fervently that the Lord would put someone
in our path that we could teach. After 10 minutes of talking to people on the
streets, no one was interested. We continued down the street and saw an older,
African woman lugging her grocery caddy and huge bags up the hill. We walked
towards her and started talking with her. She smiled huge at us, and told us
she believed in Christ, and said that she couldn’t imagine her life without
Christ. Her name was Sophie. We talked with her for 10 minutes about our
purpose as missionaries and about our belief in modern-day prophets. She said
it made sense that there would be a prophet on the earth today … to lead and
guide us. It was so neat being able to testify to her about the restored
gospel!
As she went to leave, Soeur Hill offered to take her bags
and walk home with her. We took her heavy bags and continued our conversation.
She led us to her apartment down a few streets where her HUGE African family
was waiting for her return! We met them all and knelt down and prayed with
them, leaving a blessing on their home. It was such a miracle! Who knew talking
to ONE woman on the street, and offering service, would lead to us finding a
NEW FAMILY to teach! I know the Lord is aware of us and truly does place
prepared people in our path.
The elders passed a woman to us named Raquel. She is from
Puerto Rico and speaks perfect English and French as well. Our lesson with her
was so powerful … she has a real desire to know if the Book of Mormon is true!
It will be interesting to see where that goes.
We, in turn, passed Halimata (our African Muslim amie) to
the soeurs in Antony. They will be teaching her now … she is so “golden” and
ready for baptism! They are planning to set a date with her at the end of the
month!
Let the light and Spirit of Christmas fill your souls and
push you to reach out to someone this season. Share with them your knowledge of
our Savior Jesus Christ and what He has done for you. Christ is my elder
brother, my Redeemer and my best friend. By learning more of Him, I learn more
of myself. Let the joy of His gospel fill your life with health and happiness
this Christmas season! Go Christmas Caroling! I'll be doing it here in Paris …
you can knock on a few doors with a plate of brownies. Come on, you’re not THAT
busy! Have a great week!
Soeur Madeline Vance
23 rue du Onze Novembre
78110 Le Vesinet - FRANCE

