France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Miracles Never Cease



Bonjour tout le monde!

Transfer News! I’m staying in Saint Quentin! Big surprise, I know. It’s only been two weeks, so luckily I have at least six more weeks to discover this place and get my feet under me before I migrate elsewhere. Random fun fact about St. Quentin: it’s in the north of France, with a population of 56,000 people. Yes, we have already contacted some of the same people for the second time. Pretty big change from the population in Paris!

They have called a new mission president for our mission! Frédéric Jean Babin and his wife Marie-Françoise Babin are from Evry, France and will begin their service this summer in July. We were all so excited to hear that a French couple would continue to lead our mission, as we truly feel like they are able to gain a real understanding of the people, the culture and missionary work here in the France Paris Mission. He won’t be my mission president for very long, but it will be cool to see the transition!

Remembering what I said last week … exact obedience brings miracles. As missionaries, we are expected to live certain standards and abide by certain rules for our own security, but also to ensure that our minds and motives are centered on our sacred calling to bring others unto Christ. Monday night, after a lesson with a less-active member, we made our way home to find ourselves on the street just below our apartment at 8:54pm. We are supposed to be home at 9pm. At times, going home early seems really tempting, especially when its freezing cold and the streets are completely deserted … literally meaning that no one is on the streets. Soeur Kohlert and I looked at each other and decided we would be exactly obedient, even if it meant a simple six minutes. We decided to walk to the end of the street and turn back, giving us enough time before 9:00pm. To be honest, it seemed pointless, as there truly was NO ONE outside walking the streets. We started walking anyway, and I said a silent prayer asking Heavenly Father to put someone in our path. A minute or two later, a couple came out of nowhere and started walking towards us. We began talking with them (Francis and Melanie) and they told us that they were no longer believing because they had lost their child at a young age. We testified that we knew they would be able to see him again through the Plan of Salvation and through the Atonement of Christ. They were really touched and opened up more as we talked. We left them with a brochure and set an appointment to meet with them again later in the week. It was so cool to see how the Lord blessed us when we did our best to be obedient!!

On Saturday we went to Georgette's house (a woman from our ward) and she taught us how to make crepes! She is so adorable - just this great older lady with delicious recipes! Her testimony is so strong and she has remained faithful her entire life even through the many trials she has been through. We are going to continue to visit her to help her with her reading in the Book of Mormon, because it has gotten hard for her. She is officially my St. Quentin grandma!

Another miracle … Soeur Kohlert and I decided to pass-by some members on our ward list who are no longer practicing or active in the ward here in Saint Quentin. It was pretty cold outside and I was freezing. I even wrapped my feet in plastic bags over my thermal socks to be sure that rain didn't get in through my boots! After walking for a while, we found the home of the Langlos family. We said a quick prayer before, hoping that their family would be open to talking with us. After ringing the doorbell, we patiently waited underneath our umbrellas … no answer. After a couple minutes, we turned to leave and a young man named Stephen came out from the back of the house and said that the front door was broken. We told him who we were and he quickly said that his parents were no longer interested. We told him we could leave him with our card with the address of the church, and told him he was always welcome. He said he wasn’t really believing, and that he wasn’t interested. He took our card anyway and trudged back inside.
I didn’t think much of that moment until the end of the week when we walked in the church doors, to see that SAME young man standing there, dressed in church clothes talking with the elders. Stephen was happy to see us and thanked us for stopping by that day. He told us he just felt the need to come to church that day. We found out that he was never baptized and that he was really touched by the talks he heard in the sacrament meeting. The elders are now teaching Stephen! It’s so cool to see how our efforts never go wasted!

The Josse Family is continuing to progress. We did a cute activity with images we cut out from the church magazines to teach the Restoration of the Church to the entire family, including the kids, Alexi (7) and Samuel (3). It’s funny because the little boys actually remind me of my cousins on the Vance side of my family when they were younger. They loved the activity and I am so amazed by Alexi's love of learning and faith in Christ! Continue to pray for their family.

Funny stories of the week:
While at church yesterday (Sunday), as I was listening to the speakers during sacrament meeting, my left arm began to itch. I took the pen in my hand and began to scratch the spot where it itched with the end of the pen, not thinking much of it. After a few seconds I looked down to see that the cap of the pen had fallen to the ground, and I was in complete horror as I looked down at my left arm with huge black, scribble marks running down my sleeve!! I was so embarrassed! Soeur Kohlert couldn’t help but laugh at me. Luckily we were in the primary helping teach lessons to the kids earlier that morning, so when the members commented on it, I made a joke that it was the primary kids who did it!

This morning Soeur Kohlert and I went grocery shopping in a huge super mart. We were in the fruits and vegetables section picking out our assorted items. It was super crowded, so I decided to leave our cart where it was and squeeze past a few French men to get to the peppers and tomatoes (yes, I LOVE tomatoes now!) After putting them in the bag and weighing them on the scale, I turned and threw them in my cart and took off down the aisle in search of the next item on our list. All of a sudden I hear a French man behind me start hollering, and making a scene. I turn around to see him pointing at me, accusing me of something. Not knowing what was going on, my eyes quickly drop to the items in my cart, and I realize that none of them belong to me!!! I had stolen his cart!! I started dying laughing and my whole face was on fire as I awkwardly approached this man to give him back his proper cart. I apologized and strolled off, laughing uncontrollably, pretending like nothing happened.

Je vous aime! I love this work and am so grateful for the love the Savior has for each one of us. He invests so much in us because He knows what we can become. I feel so blessed to be serving here at this time and I know that Heavenly Father is going to put people in our path who are prepared to accept the gospel. Please keep us in your prayers as we are searching for new people to teach! Have a wonderful week!

Soeur Madeline Vance