France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Monday, January 27, 2014

Prayer Makes the Difference



Soeur Kohlert and I had another great week!

We started out the week doing family home evenings with different families in the ward. I was super impressed with the Boyault family, a young French couple with two little girls. We talked to them about the importance of missionary work and sharing the gospel with their friends. Their nine-year-old daughter smiled and excitingly said, "I always talk to my friends at school about Jesus. I even talked to my teacher about meeting with the sister missionaries one time." What!? Soeur Kohlert and I were so impressed by this little girl’s fearless efforts to share the message of joy that comes from the gospel with those around her. We can’t do this work without the members! We, as missionaries, need your help to find those who are ready to listen!

We did a LOT of finding this week, contacting people and going door-to-door. It was discouraging at times because we weren’t seeing that instant success. But I truly was able to see how the Lord was testing our patient and persevering efforts to make us stronger and more dependent upon Him. We found ourselves stopping several times throughout the day to pray, and sincerely asked our Father in Heaven to guide our paths. I know He doesn’t leave us alone when we are doing His work.

We had a neat experience the other night. After a long night in the cold, without the chance of finding someone, we headed back into our apartment. We heard a knock on our door and wondered who it could be. It was our neighbor, a young mother named Alexandra, whom we had never met before. She started explaining to us something about the garbage pick-up schedule for the apartment building and was super nice. At the end, she stopped and said, "You girls are missionaries, right?" A little surprised, Soeur Kohlert and I nodded our heads in agreement. She then said, "I am believing. I have a 10-year-old son who always asks me questions about Jesus and religion. I do my best to answer his questions, but I am not sure I am always right in what I say. Maybe you could come over and teach us sometime. I am also looking for a way to have my son baptized." Needless to say, we were both so excited!!! We explained that we do family home evenings with members in our ward and invited her to come with us sometime. She said that she would love that! Now I know that if we do our best to find people OUTSIDE of the apartment, the Lord will just start sending golden people to knock on OUR door! Haha! It should be exciting to teach Alexandra and her son more about the Plan of Salvation that God has created for us.

We saw the Niamké family again last night! Wow, I am always so amazed by those kids! The last time we had asked them to read a chapter (2 Nephi) in the Book of Mormon and we checked back with them, they started going into deep detail about everything they read and remembered! It was incredible! We did a little activity where we traced each one of the kids' footprints and labeled them with the 5 principles of the gospel: Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End. We then explained how each of these steps would lead us one day to the Celestial Kingdom. They loved it! We finished the night by playing a few fun rounds of Ninja. I love that family!

Soeur Kohlert and I have been praying and thinking a lot about the Josse Family. They have been seeing the sister missionaries since last summer and have made so much progress, but they are at a point where they have just seemed to plateau. They love when we come over for lessons and feed us every time, but the parents are no longer keeping their engagements in the small and simple things such as prayer, reading the scriptures and coming to church. We started teaching the kids the simple lessons, but it doesn’t seem to be helping their family progress. Soeur Kohlert and I both felt a strong impression that we needed to take a break from seeing this family for a while.
It has been such a tough decision for us but we know that this will be the thing that pushes this family to search for answers on their own. It has been hard as well because we have truly grown to love the Josse family, and want what is best for them. Doing so will require a lot of help from the Lord, to give us the courage and boldness to express our thoughts and feelings to this family about the importance of doing the little things and staying true to their engagements. After so many months of searching for families, and now feeling the need to drop one, it has been so hard! But I know this decision truly is inspired and that the Lord will take care of things, even if we don’t fully understand why He is having us do it.

I know that Christ lives. He is our Savior and Redeemer. My morning and evening prayers seem to make all the difference in my day. It has helped me to better know my Heavenly Father and communicate with Him. Continue to take time throughout your day to offer a sincere prayer to Heavenly Father! Your day will go so much better … and He truly does listen!

Thank you for your love and support. Have a wonderful week! Please keep our amis in your prayers!

Soeur Madeline Vance
St. Quentin