Soeur Doyle and I saw miracles EVERY SINGLE DAY this week! I
know the Lord tests our faith, and then blesses us afterwards, as a reminder of
His love for us. We received transfer news, and I will be finishing my mission
... in BELGIUM! I am headed to the city of Liege to serve with Soeur Abigail
Hosking! I am so excited, as I know that Liege is where I am supposed to be. I
will miss Paris and the wonderful people I have grown to love here. I will miss
serving alongside my sweet STL companion, Soeur Doyle. She has taught me so
much and is one of the strongest people I know! She will do great things in
continuing the work here and I have no doubt that we will keep in touch and be
friends forever.
The other day, we had a half hour to do some contacting
before we had another FHE with the Maillot family and their friend from
Madagascar. We took the map out and looked at it for a minute. I asked Soeur
Doyle if she was feeling pulled anywhere specific. She pointed to a metro stop,
and I laughed, telling her hat I was thinking of the same stop!
Off we went. When we got there, we said a prayer for
guidance, and I felt prompted to go a certain direction. Soeur Doyle looked on
the other side of the street through the parked cars and pointed, "There.
We need to talk to HER." We hurried and crossed to talk to the lady
walking towards us. Soeur Doyle introduced herself, and immediately the woman
said in perfect English, "Oh, you're the Mormons!"
We had an amazing and powerful discussion with her as she
opened up to us about her life and her faith. SHE brought up prayer, going to
church, and even baptism! We were shocked. She was so receptive to the Spirit
that was there, and she told us at least four times during the conversation,
"Your eyes are shining! There is something about you two that is shimmery
and I can't help but smile!" At first, Soeur Doyle joked that it was just
the sun in our eyes. But she shook her head in disagreement. She said,
"No, that’s not it." Tears filled her eyes. She insisted that there
was something special about us that she could see and feel. After we testified
of God’s love, she said that she believed us, because she could tell that we
meant every word we spoke in that moment. Her name is Corinne and she agreed to
meet with us another time. She is a special person and one I will never forget!
We found five new amies (people to teach), and we had
several INCREDIBLE experiences, where the Lord literally placed prepared people
in our path. After walking out of an appointment or conversation with someone
on the street, Soeur Doyle and I would often turn to each other with tears in
our eyes knowing we had just witnessed a beautiful miracle.
The 4th of July was so much fun! We got all dressed
up in red, white and blue (France colors too!) and went out for the day. That
night, we helped Vanessa (a recent convert) move out of her apartment. When we
got to the old apartment, we realized that there was NO WAY we were going to be
able to take all of it ourselves. She had piles and piles of clothes … and golf
clubs … and a computer … and kitchenware heavier than a horse … and a suitcase
filled with books! So we called the zone leaders who rushed to our rescue! It
was hilarious lugging all of her belongings through the Paris metros!
For my last Pday in Paris, we went to the famous lock
bridge! It’s the place where everyone puts their "locks of love" on
the bridge and throws one of the three keys into the Seine River! It was so
cool! Soeur Doyle and I also climbed to the top of the Notre Dame Cathedral!!
The view was breathtaking, and the gargoyles were my favorite! We happened to
be up there during the hour when the huge bells started ringing. Luckily I didn’t;
run into Quasimodo, haha.
I feel so blessed to be here. It’s unreal that I have four
weeks left of my mission. I am excited for the adventures that await me in
Belgium. I truly know that it is never too late to change, to improve and grow closer
to our Savior. I know the Savior hears my prayers and blesses me with what I
need. Miracles exist … we must simply believe!
Have a great week ... GROS BISOUS!
Soeur Madeline Vance
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)