We kicked off the week with a family home evening at a
less-active member’s home. Her name is Cindy and we planned a really fun lesson
for her two energetic little boys, and they just loved it! We played the
telephone game, where someone whispers something into the ear of the person
next to them and it goes around; and by the end you realize that the sentence
often turned ridiculous and doesn’t resemble the one they began with at all!
They were giggling the whole time and wanted to keep
playing. We talked about prophets and how we must listen carefully to their
counsel, otherwise we won’t know what they are really telling us! It was so fun
and the mom got emotional at the end after seeing the joy on her little boys'
faces as they learned about the gospel. It made me realize something that I
have really grown to love on my mission: TEACHING. We hope to keep visiting
this family, and start teaching her nonmember husband as well!
Soeur Doyle and I continue to work perfectly together. At
times throughout the week, we found ourselves growing discouraged as we faced
some disappointments, including a harsh rejection from a young woman who at first
seemed super interested. We also had a few of our amies drop us out of the
blue. It’s been interesting, however, to see how moments like this make me
reflect on similar experiences I had at the beginning of my mission. Now I have
those experiences and am obviously upset, but instead of dwelling on it, I
found myself turning to the Lord much quicker than I would have in the past.
I know that the Lord knows how hard we are working. We aren’t
sure why, at this time, those we are working with are not yet ready to accept
and act upon our message. At times I feel like I have given my all to those we
are teaching, and yet they refuse to act or change, even when they know it is
true. Of course it can be frustrating or tiring, but that’s all part of it! I
love the quote by President Uchtdorf, "The lessons we learn from patience
will cultivate our character, lift our lives, and heighten our happiness."
I am finally starting to understand that patience doesn’t
simply mean waiting. It means pushing forward with a firm hope that things will
work out. I know that there are new, prepared people out here to find, and that
the Lord continues to be by our sides. I am confident that He will continue to
light the flame of my faith so we can not only endure … but endure it well! He
knows me better than I know myself, and will be sure to grant us the things we
need in his own due time. Sometimes it is in the waiting, rather than in the
receiving, that we grow the most.
At night, before I crawl into bed, I find myself on my
knees, offering only prayers of gratitude. It’s been something that I have
wanted to start doing and have noticed a huge difference over the past few
weeks. I find myself thanking my Father in Heaven for my numberless amount of
blessings; even the little things, those tender mercies, and those I have grown
to love. Doing so has brought me so much peace and joy, knowing with a surety
that there truly is someone listening to me who loves me. It gives me the
assurance that things will always work out.
We are excited for this upcoming week, as it might be my
last one here in Paris! We know there are some beautiful things in store for
us, and hope to see some of the cool people we met last week, like Anne-Desiree!
Transfer news comes out next Monday … I will keep you posted on where I end up
for my last transfer! Bahhh!
At the end of the week, we had a ward picnic! We had a
really cool chance to have some fun with the members while playing some good ol'
American baseball and, of course, soccer! There are 8 missionaries in our ward …
my companion and I, and six elders. We all joined in and it was hilarious
playing soccer because it was sprinkling raining and everyone would run for the
ball and slip flat onto their backs!!! My stomach hurt from laughing so hard,
and I even went down a few times too! The members on the sidelines got quite
the show! There were a few amies that came as well and they loved it! Ward
activities are perfect opportunities to strengthen friendships with the members,
and help those who are interested in the gospel make some new friends and feel
included!
I received an email this past week that really made my day.
Below is part of the message; it is such a great example of the miracles that
can occur when we share the gospel with others:
“I have been reading
your blog for about a year now and I really love it. Thank you so much for your
service and your uplifting posts. I came across your blog quite by accident. I
follow a few different church blogs and I saw your name on a reading list of one,
and I love France and all things French, so I had a look and was hooked!
I am a member from
Ireland. I attend a small branch and I am a convert to the church of over 20
year and I think that is why I love your blog so much, because if it wasn't for
missionaries like you, I would not have all the happiness I have in my life
today, so again thank you for your service.
I am so thankful to
have my membership in the church. I hope you are enjoying your mission; you
certainly sound like you are. Thank you for your positivity and your
willingness to share your precious experiences with others. Keep up the good
work!”
I'm continuing my reading in the Book of Mormon: in both
English and FRENCH. It’s amazing what we can learn from those sacred pages, no
matter how many times we’ve read it in the past. Keep us in your prayers this
week as we try to find some new amies to finish this transfer strong. I am so
grateful for each of you and for the love and support you give me each week!
I'm the luckiest girl in the world … Christ lives and the gospel is true. Oh,
and I love you too!
Malgré tout, la vie est belle
Soeur Madeline Vance