France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Week of Reflection



The past week proved to be a week of reflection for me. I am at the halfway point of my mission and I couldn’t help but think all the way back to the day I entered the Missionary Training Center in Provo nine months ago. Time has really flown by, and as I thought of all of the people I’ve met and places I’ve served, I couldn’t help but smile as I realized how much eternal joy has truly entered my life because of the experiences I have had while doing the Lord’s work.
Soeur Hill and I moved out of our old apartment and temporarily moved into a new apartment with four other sisters until the mission finds us a new one. With six sisters living together, it can get crowded at times, but it is also such a blast getting to know the other sister missionaries! I am living with Soeur Thibault again, one of my close friends who lived with me in our apartment in Villeneuve D'Ascq. It is neat to come home after a long day and share all of the miracles and/or crazy stories we have had together.
Across the street from our new apartment, there is a store where they sell puppies! They are sitting in a bunch of hay in the front windows playing around all together. There are yorkie puppies jumping all over one another and each time I walk by I just want to buy one! Memories flash back to when we first got Sadie, our little family dog at home, and how much joy that little fireball brought into my life.
Soeur Hill and I decided to get a jump on trying to reactivate the less-active members in the ward here at Paris Lilas. Soeur Hill was looking through the list and felt prompted to call a woman whose name she did not recognize. Her name is Margerette, and when we called her she happily answered, and we set a dinner appointment with her for last Monday night. After taking a while to find the apartment building, we decided to call Margerette to see if we were in the right area. When we did, Margerette answered and said she was actually all the way on the other side of the city at her daughter’s house.
We were kind of frustrated that she had canceled on us like that, since we had confirmed with her the night before. She told us we could still see her at her daughter’s house if we wanted to meet. Not knowing what to do, we decided to stop and pray. Afterward, Soeur Hill and I both felt impressed to get back on the tram and metros and head over to her daughter’s house, even if it meant it was going to take 45 minutes to get there. When we arrived, Margerette met us and led us to her daughter’s door. Margerette is an elderly woman from Haiti and explained that her 34-year-old daughter was going through a hard time, and asked if we could share something that would boost her spirits.
When we walked inside, a beautiful young woman approached us. She introduced herself as Sophie. We all sat down and began our lesson with a prayer. After taking some time to get to know her, she explained to us that her husband had left her about a month ago, even though she was five months pregnant. She said it was really hard for her at the time, but said that the joy and excitement she felt anticipating the birth of her son was the thing that kept her going. Tragically, two weeks later she lost her baby, the very thing that had kept her going through such a hard time in her life.
My eyes filled with tears as I felt this woman’s pain. She seemed so alone and she felt abandoned by God, not understanding why she had to go through such hard things all at once. We followed the Spirit and testified of the power of the Atonement. I testified that there were times in my life where I too felt completely alone. I looked her in the eyes and told her that I knew, without any doubt, that her baby boy was in the hands of the Savior and that one day she really would see him again. Her tearful eyes seemed to fill with light as we told her how the Book of Mormon was going to help her build her faith. We testified that, by reading this powerful book, she would be able to acquire a firm and unshakeable foundation of faith that would help her overcome any trial that came her way. She was on the edge of her seat and began to ask question after question, wanting to know how she could gain the same conviction that we each had that Jesus Christ truly is our Lord and Savior.
It was such an incredible experience for me … being able to share the message of hope and happiness that we had to share with Sophie. I knew that our Heavenly Father was aware of her and had heard her desperate cries. We were led to His precious daughter, to give her the lasting peace that comes through the message of the gospel. She has been reading the Book of Mormon, and is coming to church this week! Keep her in your thoughts and prayers, that she will continue to progress!
Samia and her little French family is continuing to progress. We are actually teaching her sister now too! Halimata and Ammara are on track for baptism as well.
We were able to go to a special missionary conference at Versailles on Saturday morning. It was so neat seeing so many missionaries who are all serving in the Paris area. We had the chance to hear three General Authorities speak … Russel T. Osguthorpe (Sunday School General President), Randall L. Ridd (2nd Counselor in the Young Men General Presidency) and Elder Patrick Boutoille from the Area Seventy (who I knew personally from serving in Villeneuve DAscq). It was such an uplifting conference filled with ways we can improve as missionaries as we apply the principle of real intent in all that we do!
Last week on preparation day we went to a big catholic cathedral called La Madeleine. We also went to Place de la Concorde and the big Opera House. It was so cool … because we were also able to see the Eiffel Tower in the background the whole time we were walking around. They are starting to decorate the streets with Christmas lights, and it truly makes this holiday season such an exciting time! Later today (Monday), Soeur Hill and I are going to climb up to the top of Arc de Triomphe and stand on the top of it! I’ve heard it is one of the greatest sights in Paris! I have the coolest mission in the world!
I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve. It makes me sad knowing that I only have half of my mission left, but it also motivates me to work harder than I have before. I know that I want to implement the incredible lessons I have learned into my life well after my mission. My perspective has changed … I am blessed with moments where I truly feel I have God’s eyes. As I look around at the people here, it doesn’t matter their station in life, their appearance or difficulties, or where they are from … I see them as my brother or sister, a child of God and someone who has divine potential to return to live with Him again.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers! I love you all and am so grateful to be a servant in the Lord’s vineyard … especially in the greatest city in the world!

Soeur Madeline Vance

p.s. Please remember our amies (Halimata, Ammara, Sophie, Samia and her family) in your prayers.