France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Monday, November 11, 2013

Finding a Family, Persevering with Gratitude



It is such a blessing to share my missionary life with all of you and I hope I am able to convey the truly miraculous experience I am having here on my mission and my testimony of Jesus Christ. With the very limited time I have on Mondays, I am so grateful for my parents as they take my message and post it with photos on this blog during the week. I really feel that you all are sharing a part of this wonderful experience with me. I would like to wish my dad and Grandma Vance an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY from Paris, France! I love you both so much and will be thinking of you on your special days. Also, I recently received news that Ryan, the son of one of our recent converts (Astou), was baptized this past weekend! It is incredible knowing that our simple efforts as missionaries can end up affecting generations!

Soeur Hill and I had another great week together here in Paris. I am starting to get a feel for the area and am starting to absolutely love it here. Every day is new and exciting, and I know we will be blessed as we continue to go forth in faith to find those who are searching for the truth.
Halimata and Ammara are continuing to progress towards baptism. We set a date with Ammara for November 30th, so please keep her in your prayers!

On Halloween, Soeur Hill and I met a French woman named Samia. It was dark and there weren’t a lot of people on the streets, but we both felt the sudden prompting to cross the street and talk to the woman who was holding a baby and pushing a stroller. We introduced ourselves and explained our purpose as missionaries … to invite others to come unto Christ. She said she was on her way to the Boulangerie (bakery or sandwich store) and asked that we continue walking with her. She went inside and bought a small treat for her 3-year-old son named Dylan and came back out. Samia then explained that she was Christian and that her ancestors were from Algeria. She said she had so many questions and had felt like she had been spending her entire life searching for the truth. She then invited us to her home, where we were able to share the beginning part of our message of the restored gospel and pray with her.
We were so excited and set another time to meet with her the following week. She called us the day before and said she couldn’t meet with us because her children were sick. We were kind of bummed out and weren’t sure that she was still interested to learn more.
On Saturday of that week, Samia called us out of the blue and asked if we were free to meet with her that afternoon. I was on an exchange with a member in St.Ouen for the day, so Soeur Hill and a member went over and taught her more about the gospel. Samia wasn’t lying … her kids WERE sick! Her little girl had chicken pox all over her face! Soeur Hill told me the lesson went well and that Samia had decided she would start reading The Book of Mormon.
This past Sunday at church … one of those days missionaries dream of … Samia, her husband Ferrah and their two cute children came to church!!! WE HAD AN ENTIRE FRENCH FAMILY AT CHURCH!!! My face hurt from smiling as I couldn’t seem to control the joy I was feeling inside. There was something so powerful and special about seeing a husband, wife, and two little children together in the chapel.
It was such a blessing and I am SO excited to see where this will go. They are such a sweet little family and they have the greatest desire to learn and find the truth. I had the chance to talk with her husband a little bit in the hallway after church and he was asking so many questions, telling me he knew there is one God, and as such, there has to only be one true church. They were admiring the pictures of Christ on the walls and I know they felt the Spirit while they were there.

I know the gospel is true. I know the Lord helps us reach our goals when we are obedient and are doing all we can to do His work. Please pray for this sweet family! I am not sure what will happen but we will continue to teach them about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in hopes of one day helping them be sealed in the temple for time and all eternity!

"Do your best; your very, very best. Say your prayers and work hard and leave the harvest to the Lord." - President Gordon B. Hinckley

Love you,

Soeur Madeline Vance

23, rue du Onze Novembre
78110 Le Vesinet – FRANCE