France Paris Mission

FRANCE PARIS MISSION
I have created this blog to help people follow me on my journey to serve and teach the people of the France Paris Mission, which consists of areas all over northern France, southern Belgium, and Luxembourg. I am serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for a period of 18 months and will be speaking French. I reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah on February 20, 2013, and will arrive in France on April 3, 2013. I will return home sometime in August of 2014. I love you all and hope to hear from you throughout this life-changing experience!

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Metro Miracle, "Football", African Night, Meeting My Pen Pal



It’s been another wonderful week in the land of stinky cheese and poodle dogs! Thank you all for your love and support. It's comforting to know that I have a loving family at home who prays for me and my success every single day. This past week was full of miracles, success and fun. Last week in my journal, I wrote the following: "Today it was raining - there have hardly been any days of sunshine! I think that's what I miss the most”.
Nevertheless, today was another day of miracles. We did our studies this morning, prayed to find people and left our apartment to take the metro. We were riding it for a while and I kept making eye contact with a middle-aged woman sitting across from me. The seat opened up next to her and Soeur Evans and I sat next to her. I felt like I needed to share the gospel with her, but I didn't know how. All of a sudden the lights in the metro went dim and the moving metro came to a halting stop. We were in the middle of a dark tunnel and were stopped!! Everyone started looking around unsure of what was going on. I started to freak out and I turned to Soeur Evans for an explanation. She just shrugged her shoulders. I then turned to the woman next to me and asked (in French), "Does this happen often?" She replied, "No, almost never. It's pretty bizarre, isn't it?" Over the loudspeaker we heard "N'inquitez pas (Don't worry)...we should have it working and moving again in 20 minutes or so."
I knew then that it was a sign!! I explained to the woman that we were missionaries from the United States. She was able to speak a little English. She told us her name was Mariette. We discussed religion a bit, and she said she was “believing” but wasn't practicing or affiliating with any specific religion. I then explained how important the gospel is to me in my life and why I am here serving a mission. We ended up teaching her the whole first lesson! I told her about The Book of Mormon and we shared the whole story of Joseph Smith. We ended up giving her a Book of Mormon, which she said she would read, and asked her if she would be interested in learning more. She said, "Pourquoi pas?" (aka … Why not?) What a neat experience and small miracle from Heavenly Father to allow us to get to know sweet Mariette, and teach her the first lesson on a broken down metro!
We had a “mini missionary” come and stay with us for a few days. She was from Belgium and is 19-years old and wanted to experience what missionary life is really like. At first she said she was unsure if she wanted to go, but after the few days and after becoming really close with her, she said she learned so much and can't wait to turn in her mission papers and go!
It's incredible being able to meet so many people from different backgrounds and countries. We did an awesome service project at one of our "amis de l'eglise"'s house. Her name is FiFi and she is from Congo and had tons of her family there. We helped her scrape and rip off the wallpaper from her walls. She was blasting African music and they kept speaking in their native tongue and busting up laughing. It was so much fun!!
On Saturdays we get to participate in sports with members from the church and those who are being taught about the church in this area. I was told they were playing football. I had to clarify and ask … “wait, soccer or football?” The French said, "American football isn't football...we're playing REAL FOOTBALL!" Haha it was funny - and I was ALL IN. Soeur Evans and I showed up and there was about 18 young men there, most of them dressed in soccer attire, cleats and all! Ah, seeing the goals and turf field made my eyes as big as saucers. I wish I brought my cleats! Anyway, long story short, I had an absolute blast playing! A few of the elders from our mission played as well, and they were super impressed when I scored a goal! Sending out props to all those years at Loveland High under the direction of Coach Kelly. Some of the Frenchies were super good! We even played with some Africans who ran up and down the field like cheetahs – just so incredibly fast! A few times I stripped the ball from a few of the guys on the other team, and everyone just started ranting in French about how they just got owned by a girl … and not just ANY girl, but a SISTER MISSIONARY!! It was so much fun, and it felt so good to kick around a bit. Even though I’m not fluent in French yet, I think I gained some of their respect with my FOOT skills, haha.
We also had this HUGE African Night at our church. We had a few of our amis de l'eglise (those being taught about the church) who came. They had African food, music and dancing. It was so much fun and a woman even gave Soeur Evans and I "Bubus" (African dresses) to wear along with a sweet headdress, haha. The food was really good! Everyone starting “breaking it down” African style! It was hilarious; my face literally hurt from smiling and laughing at the end of the night.
We have three people with baptismal dates in the next few weeks! Mehdi, Sophie, and Sofie (I know, 2 Sophies!). It is so exciting and I know they are making a super important step and showing their faith in Christ and His plan for them. Please keep them in your prayers.
Today I had the chance to meet my long, lost pen pal named Camille!!! Soeur Evans and I went out to lunch with her! She is so sweet and it was so funny actually meeting each other. I felt like I already knew her. We hope to stay in contact and visit her and her family soon.
I am really just loving every day here. It has been so special to see families bond and strengthened through the gospel of Jesus Christ. Sometimes I don't understand what people are saying, but when it comes down to it, I know that I am able to express my testimony and love for the gospel, and that's all that matters at this point. My love for the people here grows every single day. I know Jesus Christ lives and that He is helping us in our work. I love the scripture found in D&C 101:36 that says "Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full." I know that we will be the happiest and find that true joy when we center our lives on Christ and His work. I am so grateful for the chance I have to be out here, meeting so many incredible people from countries all over the world, and for the energy and desire the Lord has blessed me with to serve. I pray for you all every day, and hope you have a wonderful week!!

Much love from Villeneuve D'Ascq,

Souer Madeline Vance