This week was incredible!! It
was so much better than the first couple weeks here, as I am starting to get
the hang of things and am getting familiar with the area. Soeur Evans and I
made an effort to contact or talk to 10 people every single day - whether it's
on the metro, bus or in the streets. It has truly been a blessing because we
have been able to meet so many amazing people and learn of their hardships and
life stories. Their hearts are softened as we teach them with love, through our
smiles and testimonies of Jesus Christ. It is so easy to share what I know to
be true with people because I have experienced it firsthand, and my faith in
the gospel has shaped the young woman I am today.
There are pigeons everywhere!! Haha,
they are always by my feet in the streets eating the crumbs on the ground.
There are also little dogs in just about everyone's home. None of them are as
cute as my pup, Sadie, though. She would show all of them up! Soeur Evans and I
tried to bake brownie cupcakes for this family in our ward, but the mix was way
too watery and it was an epic FAIL, haha. Maybe I will learn the art of baking
some other time.
Last week we visited the Stagno (Stan-yo) family, a less-active/part
member family in our ward. They have four children; three girls and one little
boy. The girls reminded me of my sisters and we instantly had a connection. We
stopped by later in the week to return the umbrella they had let us borrow and they
invited us in for a barbeque!! It was awesome, and I was so excited because it
was a super sunny day and Brother Stagno was making ribs and chicken! My
companion, on the other hand, started to sweat and her eyes widened because she
is a vegetarian! It was pretty funny because throughout the meal, Soeur Evans would
discretely pass a rib onto my plate, I would eat it, and then I would slip a
bare bone back onto her plate to make it look like she was eating the meat the
whole time! Brother Stagno asked us to move our coats and purses into the front
office room, and while doing so, I accidentally grabbed his wife's purse. I
went to hand it to Brother Stagno, and said to him, "Ca c'est le sac de
votre mari." He just started busted up laughing and said that I had just
said, "Here is your husband's purse." Hahahaha, I was so embarrassed
and started dying laughing. He then said in perfect English (since he is Canadian)
“I am the husband, and I am married to a woman. You use the word ‘femme’ not ‘mari’”.
We taught a super powerful
lesson on the power of The Book of Mormon. We ended up setting baptismal dates
for all of the children for the middle of May! My companion was so surprised at
their eagerness to be baptized. It's truly a miracle.
I am learning the importance of
being bold and loving at the same time. I know who I am; I am a daughter of God
who has decided to leave behind my family, friends, and studies to share what I
know to be true. I have learned to approach people in the street, metro or bus
with confidence and a smile on my face, because I know the Lord is on my side
and I know I have a message to share that will change their lives. Our message
is one of joy and peace. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have, and for the
opportunity I have, to share it with others. I love the work and the Spirit I
feel each day! If you are thinking to about serving, DO IT! It will forever
bless your life!
Love,
Soeur Madeline Vance
Soeur Madeline Vance