Hi everyone! I’m here in Villeneuve d'Ascq (Veal-noov-dask)!
It took me forever to learn how to say
that (haha). My address is actually a little different than the one I gave last
week.
105 Boulevard
Montebello Apt. 404
Lille 59000 – FRANCE
It can take about a month to
get letters or packages that are sent to the mission home, so try to send
things to me at my local address. You can also email me at madeline.vance@myldsmail.net and
feel free to check out our mission Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/France-Paris-Mission-Poznanski/290639561050099.
Going back over the past couple
weeks … my whole last week in the MTC was wonderful. It was a bit hectic,
getting everything ready to go, but it was truly wonderful, and I will miss it
there. A couple days before we left, Soeur Wynn and I wanted to go for a run
outside before we left because we knew we'd be sitting on a plane for ten
hours. Long story short, it was dark outside, and I tripped on a thick patch of
air and “Supermanned” it, skidding on the asphalt on the road behind the MTC. I
almost curbed my FACE! I rolled over moaning and just started laughing, not
knowing what else to do. I struggled to get up and Soeur Wynn just started
DYING laughing. Bahahha, I did too, because it KILLED and I could not believe
that I just went down like a ton of bricks!! Not only that, but when I looked
up, there was an MTC security camera right above my head. I’m sure one of the
guys on the night shift got a good laugh out of that. Haha, it hurt so bad and
I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Seriously, I was lucky because I came up
with only some road rash down my leg and on my arm. I truly felt like I was
protected as the Lord knows the service and work that I have to do.
Our last day there (Easter) at
the MTC was incredible … being able to take the sacrament at the same time as
3,000 other missionaries was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! We were also
able to hear from Sheri Dew! Wow, what a powerful message … she is like a female
Abinadi!
It was a long flight here last
week … Soeur Wade (my MTC companion) and I ended up sitting next to a man on
the plane. We decided we needed to talk to him, get to know him and share the
gospel with him! So it turned out that the first real person we talked to as
missionaries was a man named Yagim. He was a Russian, an atheist, and a
scientist. Really? COME ON!! It was
kinda funny, and we actually ended up giving him a Book of Mormon and he said
he would try and read it. Who knows? Planting some seeds I guess.
The first day in France just
seemed unreal. We only spent a day in Paris before we left for our
area (I have yet to see the Eiffel Tower - one of these days I will though!). It
was crazy and a bit sad to be split up from my MTC district, especially from the soeurs that
had become my new best friends. Most of our transportation is by the metro and it
was crazy the first couple times. There are people everywhere and the doors DO
NOT STOP from closing, no matter what or who might be in the way! I was on the
constant lookout for pickpockets and trouble, but luckily none came my way. We
walked through Paris - and it was so incredible, I don’t even know how to explain
it. We had some time to visit the beautiful Sacre Coeur as a group, and were
given some time to pray, ponder and think about what kind of goals we wanted to set for our mission. Then we were split up and sent off with our trainers. My
trainer is Soeur Evans. She is 24 years old and is from Salt Lake City. She is
an absolute pro at French and has so much energy for the work!
The train station was madness
with all 3 of my bags! It was hilarious, Soeur Evans was speed- walking with
one of my bags ahead of me, my head was spinning, and I was dragging my other
two bags behind me. She walked onto the escalator in front of me, and as I
tried to catch up to her with my bags, I got caught on two different steps of
the ascending escalator. They were heavy and were now uneven and made me lose
my balance. My bag started tipping backward onto the woman behind me, and as I
reached for it I began to fall as well - down the escalator!! Just picture it: a blonde missionary, in a
black floor length winter coat with a purse and two huge luggage bags losing
her balance and tumbling DOWN an ascending elevator onto the woman behind
her!!! Luckily she and her friend grabbed me and my bags and helped me up!! It
was freaky but I was laughing so hard!! My companion stood at the top in shock
as she watched the whole scene.
We are serving in northern France near the Belgium border in
an area just outside of Lille named Villeneuve d'Ascq. Instead of being called
"greenies" they call us “bleus”. The new people in the military wear
blue here so that's why we are called that. It's absolutely crazy to think I am
actually here in France! Everyone seems to be nice and understanding that I am
still learning the language. They speak “fast forward” French here!
The other two sisters we live
with are super nice and cool. Our ward is great, and the bishop works well with
the missionaries and jokes around with us and the elders all the time. I am
trying to get used to the Bises (kisses on the cheeks). We only do it with
women, and most of the time it’s just the touching of the cheeks, but some of
the older grandmas give me a full on kiss on each cheek. Kinda strange, but
kinda sweet. We teach and talk to mostly women or families, and we avoid
contacting single men as sister missionaries, which makes it safer for us.
Soeur Evans and I go running each morning. It’s still really
cold here and I always ask where the sun is, haha. The other day we went running
past this park with a human-sized hamster wheel! I climbed inside and almost
lost control - it was hilarious! Through the streets it's actually pretty dirty
– there’s trash and kaka (or dog poop) everywhere in the streets, graffiti, and
cats everywhere!! Yet I know that this little rundown town is a
special place and there are people here we are supposed to find! I love
Villeneuve d'Ascq. During one of my studies of the scriptures, I remembered my French
pen pal from my senior year of high school and how my French class with Madame
Hudson did pen pal letters/emails with a younger French class here in northern
France. I printed out and kept my emails with my pen pal and brought them with
me here. I looked up her city, Attiches, and realized it was in my ward/area
boundaries out here! Come on; what are the chances?! It’s not a coincidence;
there's a reason why I'm here and that this is my first area. Soeur Evans and I
are determined to find Camille and her family! I can't wait to meet her and
hopefully share my testimony of the gospel with her.
It's just the beginning of my mission - but I am already
seeing small miracles every day. We are taught that miracles are predicated on
our faith. That's one of the greatest things I learned while in the MTC from
Frere Nelson. He really taught me the importance of BELIEVING we would be able
to find people. I know I shouldn’t even leave my apartment in the morning if I
don't TRULY believe that we will find someone to teach that day. It has made
all the difference and has opened my eyes to having the faith that anything is
possible with God on our side. We should expect miracles in our lives if we are
worthy to receive them. "God will never send a prepared investigator to an
unprepared missionary."
The other day we stepped off the metro on our way to an
appointment when this teenage girl approached us. She asked who we were and shared
her interested in coming to know Christ. She just came out of the blue!!! As we
talked with her we learned that her name was Melanie and she was 17 years old
from African origin. Soeur Evans and I were just in shock as we knew we were in
the right place at the right time and were able to share our knowledge and
testimonies of the gospel with her. We are
teaching so many people right now and have 8-10 progressing investigators (amis
de l'eglises). It is absolutely incredible! We are determined to work really
hard and are shooting for ten baptisms by the end of this transfer (May 12th).
Soeur Evans said they have NEVER had so many investigators in this area before. Most
of the women we are teaching are either from Congo, Senegal, Mozambique or
China. We have one French woman right now too! Who knew I'd be sharing my
testimony with so many people with so many ethnic backgrounds! I have gained an
instant love for all of these people. It doesn't matter if they have no
knowledge of God, or what their life circumstances are … God has blessed me
with charity and I want to do all I can to help them find happiness in their
lives! They roar with laughter when I mess up in French, but are sweeter than
anyone I have ever met. I cannot even express what it has felt like to share
the story of Joseph Smith with these women, especially a young woman from
Senegal named Binta. She has been searching all of her life for the truth but
hasn’t been able to find it. We shared how young Joseph Smith was struggling to
find the truth in his day as well during a time of great religious excitement.
We testified and shared his account of the First Vision when he saw God and
Jesus Christ. The Spirit immediately swept into her deep dark eyes as they
filled with tears. I testified that I knew I was called HERE by a prophet to
share this incredible message, with not only the people of France, but with HER.
She then leaned forward, and said, "Thank you. There's a reason you're at
my house tonight - You've truly been sent by God."
In Alma 26:16 of The Book of Mormon, it says, “Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the
smallest part which I feel.” Even more than my lack of time to share all of my
experiences so far ... there is not a way to fully describe the feelings I have about
the things I've learned or the love I have for the people I've met. I am so lucky to be serving
here at this time. Sure, I've already had some hard times, but I know the small
miracles and blessings outweigh any pain or difficulty. I want to be the Lord’s
instrument to help change other people’s lives. I would not be out here serving for a year and a half of my life if I didn't know that the special message I am
sharing is true. I am so grateful for this gospel and for the incredible
changes I have already seen in the people we have been teaching. There is no
place I would rather be. I am out here serving because I have a brother who
died for me … my Savior Jesus Christ. He gave His life so I could have mine.
France is amazing, and while I know many say missionary work here is impossible
and there are many who are not interested in the message we have to share, I
KNOW God is preparing people here to receive His message. I have seen it, and I
know I will continue to see people accept the gospel if I truly believe and
have faith they are out there EVERY SINGLE DAY, in EVERY AREA I serve. Thank
you all for your letters and emails. I love you all!! I love hearing the comforting
and encouraging and inspiring words of my parents and family and friends.
Write or email me!
Much love!
Soeur Madeline Vance
p.s. The last session of General Conference was incredible and really helped. You should all watch General Conference on www.lds.org! It was soo good and I know you can find answers to your personal questions by watching it - I receive answers to mine EVERY TIME!